Computer Help forum

General discussion

Genuine Windows

by Ekaba1 / April 20, 2007 1:52 PM PDT

Is it possible to buy a copy of genuine windows or a valid cd key and use the valid cd key to make windows genuine(without losing data)? A friend wasn't aware that a so-called 'tech shop' put a bootleg copy of the software on his machine when he took it in and now wants to fix the issue without losing his files. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Genuine Windows
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Genuine Windows
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Backup
by Darton Fury / April 20, 2007 5:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Genuine Windows

all critical data and do a clean install with a valid copy. Or you can try an in place repair installation, installing the valid copy over the bogus one.

Collapse -
Genuine Windows
by billzhills / April 20, 2007 9:59 PM PDT

As suggested Back up data.

Other than a clean re-install Windows has a tool that will allow you to activate your current install.

I've used it once and do not fully remember to process. Tho it went something like this ... Purchase XP Pro -> click on nag dialog box -> download and install MS utility -> provide new product numbers -> done.

See this link for more info.

Bill

Collapse -
YES!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 20, 2007 11:24 PM PDT

Look up the JELLYBEAN KEYFINDER and it can change the CD-KEY to the valid one if you bought the same version. It's all documented at their site so I'm going to get the short answer of "YES!"

Bob

Collapse -
Microsoft makes it easy for you to do so...
by Edward ODaniel / April 21, 2007 7:34 AM PDT
http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/pkuinstructions.aspx

It is step-by-step so hard to go wrong.

You will NEED to purchase a legal copy so you will have a legal key.

A friend wasn't aware that a so-called 'tech shop' put a bootleg copy of the software on his machine when he took it in and now wants to fix the issue without losing his files.

If this friend already had a legal copy of the SAME VERSION of XP installed when he took the system in for repair the product key on the Certificate of Authenticity sticker on the case will work. (If the friend had XP Home and now has XP Pro or vice versa, this will not work as the key has to match the version.)
Collapse -
Thanks!
by Ekaba1 / April 22, 2007 3:17 AM PDT

Thanks to all of you for your help! I will let him know:-)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?