Computer Help forum

General discussion

generic host process for win32 services

by mugatiya / March 4, 2005 9:35 AM PST

lately ive been gettin this error msg..generic host process for win32 services has encountered a problem and needs to close. we are sorry for the inconvenience...then it creates a report n i hav the choice to send it MS or not..

can anyone tel me wat this error is n wat i can do to fix it..thanks...i posted this on the security section but someone there to post it here n see so here i am..my specs r below..thanks..

Acer Travelmate series 380 laptop
Ad aware SE
Registry Mechanic
Norton Anti 2005

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: generic host process for win32 services
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: generic host process for win32 services
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
RE:
by Cursorcowboy / March 4, 2005 9:15 PM PST

1. Please note that just above the text editor (where you enter a question on the forum) is the following paragraph, and if certain information is not present in your question, our reply may not be very helpful:

Tip: If you are asking for help to troubleshoot a computer-related problem, please be sure to include all the necessary information (ie: operating system, model number, hardware, software, etc) that will help others identify your problem for a speedy resolution.

Note: You have the option of using the hyperlink "Edit My Profile" on the right side of the main page to fill in applicable system information so that it is available.

2. it creates a report n i hav the choice to send it MS or not..

Did you not report the problem in order to receive support? If you do not want this type support when using this feature, then why not turn it off and rely on the system error itself when asking for assistance, which would require your reporting the exact information display so those familiar with that type of problem could lend a hand.

1. Error Reporting, which is enabled by default, displays an error dialog box prompting the user to indicate whether or not they want to report the problem. When choosing to report the problem, technical information about the problem is collected and then sent to Microsoft over the Internet. If a report is rendered and if a similar problem has been reported by other people and more information is available, a link to that information will be provided the user. Turning it ON or turning it OFF is the user's call. For assistance and resolution, we need to know WHAT cause(s) is/are reported.

a. Were there no links or anything else provided should you submit the report?

b. Please. For your benefit, always report the error information this report contains when wanting our analyses.

2. When a system error occurs, the computer displays a blue screen containing error codes and all computer operations stop. When an illegal operation or other error occurs in a program, that program stops working. System and program errors may be transmitted to Microsoft which allows them to track and address operating system, Windows component, and program errors. Error Reporting configuration is outlined in, [Q310414]:

a. Enable or disable
b. Enable for the operating system
c. Specify the program for which a report is generated
d. Remove programs from the list
e. Send an error report to Microsoft

3. Supplemental reading:

a. "Description and Availability of Internet Explorer Error Reporting Tool (Q276550)."

b. "No Date or Time Information Available When Program Stops Responding in Windows 98 or Windows Me (Q280660)."

c. "How to Disable or Redirect Internet Explorer Error Reporting (Q310116)."

d. "How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows XP (Q310353)."

e. "HOW TO: Configure and Use Error Reporting in Windows XP (Q310414)."

f. "Preparation Before You Contact Microsoft After Receiving a STOP Message on a Blue Screen (Q314103)."

g. "You Receive a "System Has Recovered from a Serious Error" Message After Every Restart (Q317277)."

4. Many users question what the file "Appcompat.txt" is, besides assuming that IT is the error itself, which is a file generated by the WinXP compatibilit

Collapse -
Also having this problem, error reporting doesn't help
by obsessed / March 5, 2005 11:18 AM PST
In reply to: RE:

Windows XP Home, SP2

I have also been getting this error message usually when I first boot up and try to log on or open any window, and when I click yes on error reporting, all I ever get is a message that says my report has been sent. It never gives me any useful info. Am I doing something wrong?

Collapse -
RE:
by Cursorcowboy / March 5, 2005 11:59 PM PST

I cannot say that you're doing anything wrong since it's your choice to use and run Error Reporting. However, you do have the choice of "checking what the report contains" <graphics to click> before the report is sent. Have you looked at what this report contains to perhaps help you ascertain the problem?

Collapse -
couldn't understand the contents...
by obsessed / March 6, 2005 1:26 AM PST
In reply to: RE:

But will copy them down and relate them to you the next time it happens, so that maybe you can tell me what the error report means. thanks.

Collapse -
Generic Host process for win32....
by sharpman06483 / March 23, 2005 6:27 AM PST

I am running win XP home SP2 and get the same thing. I click on the details and it sais I have 2 things there.
1. c:\Documents\Al\Locals~1\temp\wer4560.dirou\svchost.exe.mdmp
2. c:\Documents\Al\Locals~1\temp\wer4560.dirou\appcompat.txt

What does this mean?

Collapse -
Generic Host Process for Win32
by bmcnet / March 23, 2005 3:03 PM PST

You likely updated your HP printer software for
an HP network printer and are running Win XP SP2.
I just did the same and I am encountering the same
thing. I hit this sort of incompatability for
HP network printers and WinXP SP2 before. I am in
the process of trying to find the update to fix
things on HP's website.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.