Computer Help forum

General discussion

"Generic Host Process for Win32 Services...

by JohnTar / September 27, 2010 9:34 AM PDT

I am running Windows XP on a Dell Inspiron 1300. Frequently, almost immediately after I boot up my laptop, a window appears headed, "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services has encountered a problem and needs to close". This doesn't happen after every boot-up, but often enough to be a nuisance; it never occurs after the point when the laptop has loaded all of its startup programing: The problem causes a loss of my being able to enter Windows IE and causes the loss of use of Outlook Express (I am unable to send or receive messages or run the Internet). I also lose my sound facilities: Though Device Manager shows that all are working, individually they indicate not to be available. I am forced to reboot and hope that the problem will not return again on rebooting. To negate this problem occurring and re-occurring I put my machine into 'sleep mode' rather than shut down at the end of each session (The problem doesn't arise when I bring the laptop out of sleep). The code shown for these faults are as follows:
"Error Signature:
szAppName : svchost.exe szAppVer : 5.1.2600.5512 szModName : unknown szModVer : 0.0.0.0"
"Error Report Contents:
C:\DOCUME~1\Pops\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER91df.dir00\svchost.exe.mdmp
C:\DOCUME~1\Pops|LOCALS~1\Temp\WER91df.dir00\appcompat.txt"
The squiggle (~), sits at the top of the space it is shown in - NOT in the middle. "Pops" being my User title.

I read somewhere, some time ago, that there had been problems centred around the introduction of the "svchost.exe" command introduced by Microsoft, and that a repair patch had been issued to fix this. I have received said patch (checked out with Microsoft), but it has made no difference to my system. MS have been useless in regard to this problem, passing me from one department to another with no-one offering a useful solution to the problem - or ANY solution! I am not a computer software expert in any way, and a re-installation of Windows XP would be difficult for me to do - I'm not sure that I wouldn't screw a lot more up than to cure the fault!. If anyone can help I will be extremely grateful. Thanks, folks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You mention that you are running Windows XP BUT ...
by Edward ODaniel / September 27, 2010 9:56 AM PDT

don't mention whether it is Home or Pro and I see nothing about Service Pack level.

MS no longer supports Plain XP or XP with SP 1 or XP with SP2.

Install SP3 (requires either SP1a or SP2 to be installed first) and if you already have SP3 RE-INSTALL IT using the network installation package at this link -
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=5b33b5a8-5e76-401f-be08-1e1555d4f3d4&displaylang=en

Quite often OS errors can be corrected with a simple re-install of the most recent service pack as doing this takes care of potentially corrupted system files.

Collapse -
I am running the Home version of XP...
by JohnTar / September 27, 2010 10:57 PM PDT

And I have SP3. This may be a good point as the problem has existed for some considerable time, but because it hasn't impinged on my use of the machine for reasons I have explained, I have stupidly put up with it. The amount of programmes that I run on the laptop now has increased and I've noticed that load-up time (time to boot and load programmes) has increased with it! Just recently there have been a lot of updates required - many with re-boots required - and the problem, because of that, has been exacerbated. I will try what you've suggested, and thanks for the info. I am aware, however, that MS is slowly dropping WinXP facilities. Can you advise me if I delete SP3 can I be sure that I will be able to regain it? Should I bother if it is the cause of my problem?

Finally, I have had very few problems with my Dell Inspiron 1300: hang-ups once in a blue moon (and then usually my own fault) and never a "blue screen-of-death". I have as much RAM in it as I can have and my anti-virus stuff, etc., though all free, are programs highly recommended by Cnet. No problems with those either - though none of them have ever indicated the nature of the "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services" problem, or its existance. Once again thanks for the help and please respond again to this...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!