Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Generic host process for win 32 services

by slednekk / August 24, 2005 4:56 PM PDT

After restart i get a message that reads ''Generic host process for win 32 services has a problem and will shut down''. I would like to know what this service does. Since this message began to appear i also have experienced som problems with my network. After a while in standby modus the network doesnt work anymore, and i have to do a complete restart of my system to make it work again. After restart i get the message again. I run Windows home edition. The network is wireless, Belkin. Pc is a Compaq laptop.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Generic host process for win 32 services
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Generic host process for win 32 services
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Thanks but...
by slednekk / August 25, 2005 3:41 AM PDT
In reply to: MS has a fix.....

Thank u Michael, i did what u proposed, but its still the same problem...

Collapse -
See if anything shows up in
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 25, 2005 8:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks but...

Event Viewer.

Either right click My Computer, select Manage, or goto Start > Run type in "eventvwr.msc", (without the quotes).

See if any problems are listed either under Application or System.

Highlight them, right click, select Properties for more information on any errors.

Mark

Collapse -
Svchost...
by slednekk / August 27, 2005 4:40 AM PDT

I did what u proposed, and from what i could figure, i have an error with "svchost.exe". since i have a norwegian windows it translate something like this:
"Error program svchost.exe, version 5.5.2600.2180, error modul ntdll.dll, version 5.1.3600.2180, error adress 0x00011f52".
The problem is that this is blablabla to me...
Do u have any ide what this means??

Collapse -
svchost.exe
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 27, 2005 7:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Svchost...

This is a background process that runs as a host for other programs/processes. Often you can see more than one instance of svchost running at the same time in Task Manager, (right click the Task Bar, select Task Manager, then the Processes tab), so it is may be that the problem is not with svchost.exe itself, (otherwise other processes could not use it), but with a particular process. In your case it would appear to be a networking process of some sort.

However, there are viruses that pretend to be svchost and you should really be prepared to revisit your antivirus software, update its definitions, and rescan. Also, you need anti-spyware applications to check for spyware. Have a look at this site;
http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist.htm
click the S, and scroll way down to svchost, and see what is said about svchost and the virus variants.

Having said all that, as Event Viewer shows up svchost having problems with "ntdll.dll", I did some research on ntdll.dll. Ntdll.dll is an NT layer DLL file that controls Windows NT system functions. No, I don't know what tht implies, but at Experts Exchange I found a discussion about a problem similar to yours. The discussion thread is here;
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/Q_20764587.html

At first glance it would seem that you have to sign up to Experts Exchange to see the solution, but that is not the case. Simply scroll down the page, and the discussion starts. Beware though, this particular discussion is very long and involved, and is not easy to follow. Many suggestions are offered, and some work whilst others do not.

Good luck,

Mark

Collapse -
reply to Win32 shutdowndown
by Blackfox2005 / August 25, 2005 7:05 PM PDT

I;m not sure if were talking about the sme thing but it sounds like it, six months ago i bought a second hand Pc that had been refurbished and booted with XP, although no updates had been applied, as soon as i connected to the internet i had the same error message and had to reboot. it turned out to be a virus holding up in windows itself, my advise would be to get a firewall that you have full controll of and shut internet access,then scan.(remember virus's can survive in System restore)
although Microsoft have as previosly meantioned tackled this issue, try AGV Free it was the only one to find my infection, over 2 other main Programs.

Collapse -
no succsess
by slednekk / August 27, 2005 4:42 AM PDT

I did what u proposed, but i didnt find any viruses that could cause this problem. THX anyway.

Collapse -
answer to Generic host process
by b1vjcb93 / May 5, 2006 9:03 AM PDT

Try disabling script blocking in Norton.Worked for me.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.