PC Hardware forum

General discussion

General tech help or insight

by phoenixdragon / May 4, 2006 10:11 PM PDT

Actually a 2 part but will be short. First, wanted to partition home HDD so Win-XP loaded then use back side for actual usage, ie; games & media. Thought being, use front for just oper sys loadup and back to prevent damage from virus, hacks, and minimizing formats should bad things happen. Problem, I do not know how to switch or use correctly so stuck with using entire drive. Second, close to first, have laptop and external HDD via USB, thought I could put XP on external but find can not. Do I assume the external is simply where you transferr files to and is not actuall used because when I tried to retrieve a file it could not be found, read, used, recognized or had any program to open it. Not a newbie but feel like one. Any help, advise or direction is greatly appreciated. More info on either system available if it would help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: General tech help or insight
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: General tech help or insight
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
General tech help or insight
by billzhills / May 4, 2006 11:53 PM PDT

Partitioning (Spliting a drive) cannot be done todays Vendor system. The Recovery Disks create an image of the drive allowing only recovery or destrictive restore.

With a true XP CD on install ''X'' amount of drive can be assigned for install. After install via Disk Managment the balance of drive can be partitioned and activated.

External drives have to be properly formated for use and work the same as an internal drive. Your attempt install of XP to this drive may have corupted it. Use Disk Managment to reformat the drive.

For more information see
Retired's and Toni's post.

Luck

Collapse -
Further info on original post
by phoenixdragon / May 5, 2006 2:53 AM PDT

Home unit is custom, I put Soyo Platinum w/ AMD-3200 (pre 64) in Antec w/ 500watt power, 1Gb 4200 mem, 120Gb HDD, Sound Blast 5.1, Nvidia 5600 graphics, (3) optical drives- CD-Cdr-DvD/R&R. So partitioning was/ is no problem, just when tried to access it seemed I had to load the full package again in order to use second partition. Maybe I was just missing the point back then. I thought I understood many gamers used such set up to maintain integrity, security and speed of OS yet enableing them to use the second part by somehow "switching" over. After my initial confusion, I stuck with single drive C: but know all too well with MicroSoft, a format is inevatable at some point. In which case would like to try the duo again. Not a problem when using 2000 and XP on same drive due to independant natures. Not yet understanding using "virtual" and exactly how they work. Think a trip to Barns & Noble is in order maybe. If I understood the Virtual drive then my laptop question would also be answered. Many thanks and will keep watching the forums.

Collapse -
license key number
by Boboakley / June 22, 2006 4:41 PM PDT

I cannot find the license key number in my email after i register. please help me asap. steve

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?