HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

GENERAL questions about asking questions

by DH1 / September 18, 2009 4:21 PM PDT

After several years of PC issues and questions I'm attempting to get some answers to various things.

My questions range from why only one of my speakers produces sound 99% of the time to items repeatedly appearing in my start-up menu even though I instruct Windows to not load them to my anti-virus program to Win Update issues.

That said, is it proper protocol to ask each question on CNET Forums in a separate thread and, if so, where? i.e. Do I ask a speaker question in Win XP forum or somewhere else? Or should I ask the question elsewhere - i.e. Dell or Microsoft forum?

I'm so confused I don't even know where to go for help.... And I used to think I was semi computer smart!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: GENERAL questions about asking questions
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: GENERAL questions about asking questions
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The "words in red"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 18, 2009 9:54 PM PDT

When you post, "the words in red" ask you to supply the details and "what details."

As to the forum, speaker issues could be hardware or the file playing has only one channel or "mono." So either you replace the speakers or look at some REAL TIME EQUALIZER (not all software or machines have that ) to diagnose if the machine thinks it is outputting to left and right or see if it's just a left channel only audio file. If it's a failing cable, speaker or such then you replace it.

As to the start up menu. MSCONFIG might have been used but I don't see the "details" which is important to answer why it may come back.

About Windows Update issues. This area is FAR FROM PERFECT. I've seen people part with too much money when this could have either been ignored while Microsoft works on it.
Bob

Collapse -
I would ask each question one at a time
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 18, 2009 9:54 PM PDT

I see from your profile that you have been a member here for some years, and have posted a number of times in these forums, so you probably know already how to post, but just need the confidence with what information you need to give.

I would just 'dive in' and ask. But I would keep each discussion, (thread), to one question, unless the problems are related. That might be difficult for you to decide, as asking one question may lead onto other problems/difficulties.

The most important thing is to give us information. We're not there with you sitting in front of your computer, so we can only see what you post. That is why the note in red font above each post window is so important, ie;

<b style="font-weight:normal; color:red">Note: If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.</b>

Without that, we waste time asking for details of the computer, the history of the problem, symptoms, and so on. So, even though you raise different discussions, that basic information is needed each time. Not everyone will read the one post where you gave this information and assumed that is sufficient for all other discussions.

You may want to start with Grif's excellent thread A few tips for computer newbies. Although you are not a newbie, you may still find useful advice about how to keep a system working well.

Good luck.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.