HolidayBuyer's Guide

Laptops forum

General discussion

General information about a netbook

by icanrule / September 16, 2009 10:40 PM PDT

I have a few questions about netbooks. I want to buy one in a few days and am a bit confused about there power. Can someone answer these questions.

This is the netbook I was thinking about getting (http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10124114&catid=).

1. Can we put more ram into it?
2. Can it play divx movies and TV shows?
3. There is one game that I want it to play. It's an old game but I'm not sure if it has the power to play it. It is called Fitness yourself and can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yourself!Fitness. If you look at the requirements they are for very old computers. That's why I am hoping I can run it.

My plan is to hook up to a monitor and do all of the above. Is this possible or am I expecting too much out of a netbook?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: General information about a netbook
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: General information about a netbook
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
1. Why would I add RAM?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 16, 2009 11:03 PM PDT

I own an Acer Aspire One with 1GB RAM, XP and found no reason to add ram.

2. Hulu and such play fine. I'm sure some divx file won't play but I've seen that happen on laptops, desktops all over so my answer will be that no one can tell you yes here.

3. With an external monitor my kid played many games. And by enabling pan and scrolling (not going to tell you how here!) he played games on the road.

4. Just yesterday I did hours of presentations on our netbook. Yup it was an external.

In closing I can't seem to use that link. Why not just post make and model?
Bob

Collapse -
Type of netbook
by icanrule / September 16, 2009 11:17 PM PDT

Toshiba 10.1" Intel Atom N280 1.66GHz Laptop (NB200-002)

Collapse -
Cnet did a reveiw on that one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 17, 2009 1:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Type of netbook

It was fine but they felt it was a little pricey. You pay for the slimmer form over the Acer models.

Collapse -
Are batteries upgradable later if needed?
by icanrule / September 17, 2009 8:08 AM PDT

I have found 2 different versions of this netbook. 1 has a 3 cell and the other has a 6 cell. There is a $70.00 difference. Can netbook batteries be upgraded or is it risky?

Collapse -
Yup. But one problem.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 17, 2009 8:49 AM PDT

You find you may pay more than 70 later. How to do the upgrade? Turn the power off, slide out the old battery, slip in the new one.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks for your help.
by icanrule / September 17, 2009 11:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Yup. But one problem.

Thank you for very much for your assistance. I have looked at the acer models and they are missing a few things that I need. I haven't found one that has VGA, bluetooth, and a large battery like this one. Small size doesn't really matter that much. I just don't want it to be the size of the laptop.

I also like this one because it has the new atom processor. I have a feeling I am going to need some heavy processing. Not really that heavy but the more power I can get the better.

Collapse -
My Acer has
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 17, 2009 8:46 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks for your help.

VGA port and the bluetooth was a nano USB thing. If you start down the road of CPUs and more you may as well buy a laptop.

Are you sure you want a netbook? I own the Acer so I can address performance and real world battery times.

See the 3 smaller bluetooth usb things at http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=12475
Bob

Collapse -
Yes. I am surer
by icanrule / September 19, 2009 8:08 PM PDT
In reply to: My Acer has

I need something ultra portable with a long battery life. I have tried bluetooth adapters before and they all fall short of what I need. Mostly because I forget them at places but also it's an add-on and I really hate add-ons. The same goes for the webcam. I had separate webcams but having one built in the computer is pretty sweet.

Processing speed is absolutely important. It's a computer no matter how you look at it. Otherwise they would install Windows Mobile, or Android. It is equally important to know how much RAM it can take because it's a computer. Same goes with hard drive space.

I have had this netbook for 2 days and am really impressed with what I can do with it. It goes far beyond being able to view websites and writing documents like the advertisements say. I based that initially off of the specs but it was confirmed when I bought the device.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.