PC Hardware forum

General discussion

General HDD question

by seoulsux / March 12, 2008 7:49 AM PDT

Hi guys I've got a couple questions about HDD's so bear with me.

I have about 200-300 DVDs worth of info I want to back up on a hdd. I was thinking of getting 2-3 hitachi desktar 7k1000 1TB internal hard drive's to transfer the contents of my dvd's to and use as a storage. I read that the two most important thing to think about when choosing a HDD are the RPM and the storage size. I've noticed that there are a some HDD's that have the same storage size and RPM, but different data transfer rates's and sometimes different memory buffers.

Is the transfer from DVDs to HDDs completely dependant on the read speed of my dvd drive, or does the RPM, Storage size and buffer of the HDD play a part?

Another thing I'm curious about. I notice alot of HDD's targetted at gamers are small in capacity but high in RPM's or are SSD's. Is this so the gamer can transfer files to another larger HDD more quickly?

If I'm using a second HDD as a storage device, do I need to install the same OS on it, that's on my primary HDD?

The point of all this is I download a lot of anime (which have become bigger in file sizes because of the jump to HD)and am constantly burning them onto dvd's because my laptop has very low storage space and is old. I want to get a new comp that primarily does two things. Can play up to 1080p h/x.264 .avi/mkv files and can transfer data quickly to a large storage HDD.

Thanks for any help Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: General HDD question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: General HDD question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Is this backup?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 12, 2008 8:05 AM PDT
In reply to: General HDD question

If we read the NIST study on DVD life span we see we are well past 25 years to 100 years under ideal conditions. That hard disk has a 5 year warranty, no write protection and the parts degrade with time.

To me your plan sounds like an easy access solution but fails to be "backup."

Bob

Collapse -
True
by seoulsux / March 12, 2008 9:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Is this backup?

Isn't it easier/more convienent to for me to have my data on a large hard drive, when it can be easily organized and accessed, than having it on dvd's that can easily get messed up? I've already lost about 50GB's worth of data from scratched/messed up dvd's. I still go back frequently and watch anime series off alot of my dvd's, but it's inconvient having to keep swapping out disk's in order to watch the next eps in a series. I'm gonna get a blu-ray burner later on to keep a second backup, but for now a large HDD seems to be a good idea Happy

I know HDD's fail all the time, but I think in this case it isn't a bad idea.

Collapse -
Nobody can help?
by seoulsux / March 13, 2008 12:25 AM PDT
In reply to: General HDD question

So nobody can answer any of these questions for me? Sad

Collapse -
Is the transfer from DVDs to HDDs completely dependant on
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 13, 2008 12:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Nobody can help?

Is the transfer from DVDs to HDDs completely dependant on the read speed of my dvd drive, or does the RPM, Storage size and buffer of the HDD play a part?

The DVD speed is a fraction of your HDD speed. That answers that.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks alot
by seoulsux / March 13, 2008 1:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Nobody can help?

Well thanks for answering that for me at least :). I guess I'll just get that those 1TB Hitachi HDDs and use them.

On a personal note, did I do something to offend you in some way Bob? You're responses seem a little bit cold, or like you're annoyed. If I did upset you, I'm sorry for whatever I did. Either way I appreciate any feedback I get Happy

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 13, 2008 1:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks alot

But I answer a few questions and have a few discussions under way. I've tried in the past to write "chummy" replies and people can't dissect where the answer is. So rather than spend time on that I'll boil it down to the Q and the A.

This is not a sign I feel slighted.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?