PC Hardware forum

General discussion

GeForce FX 5200 trouble shooting..

by cooldude55 / July 6, 2005 8:38 AM PDT

Ok um.. I'm trying to install my card (Chaintech Geforce FX 5200)

But it's not being detected. When I plug the monitor into it (Samsung Syncmaster 17inch), it will get power to it but the monitor will not display anything, it's just black. I've already disabled my current one through the Device Manager, and still it won't be detected. I don't know how to disable it through the BIOS because mine is very bland (old phoenixbios), and says nothing about the graphics controller on then to toggle from "PCI or ONBOARD" and it's on PCI right now. I've tried installing the drivers hoping it would automatically disable anything I missed, but no luck. I need help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: GeForce FX 5200 trouble shooting..
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: GeForce FX 5200 trouble shooting..
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
ookay...
by nerdyboy1234 / July 6, 2005 10:14 AM PDT

if u cant see anything, how were u trying to install the drivers?

is the card seated right?

more info on ur system plz...

Collapse -
Sorry, I'll elaborate
by cooldude55 / July 6, 2005 11:47 AM PDT
In reply to: ookay...

eMachines T1742 (oldddddd)
1.70ghz Celeron Processor
512 Upgraded Ram
Using 64mb Integrated Graphics (<< the problem)
However, the GeForce Card I've been trying to install is not being detected, at all. It is securely seated (checked several times, rearranged ect..) and still nothing. Any suggestions?

Using Samsung SyncMaster 17glsi 17" monitor.

Collapse -
hmm...
by nerdyboy1234 / July 6, 2005 3:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Sorry, I'll elaborate

it should automatically detect...try put ur integrated graphics back on and take out ur card then on the integrated graphics download the newest nvidia driver from nvidia.com then install it. then when it says restart>dont restart. go disable ur onboard graphics then shut down. then install the card again. see if this works. if u did this b4 then i have no clue what is wrong. maybe its a conflict between monitor and video card? or video card is defective?

64mb Integrated Graphics (<< the problem)hmm i dont understand what do u mean by this because u disabled it so should be ok unless u did something wrong/

Collapse -
I'll try that, but I thought I should mention...
by cooldude55 / July 6, 2005 8:38 PM PDT

I just rembered the problem also occured when I installed my Ethernet Card. At first it wasn't being detected, because the computer supposively had one built in. But my mom's friend did like an hour's worth of **** to get it working, somehow. I wish she still kept in contact with him! :/ So I'm thinking there is some way out there to get this thing to work.

Collapse -
I've tried....
by Willy / July 7, 2005 12:40 AM PDT

Using the old setup with old video card, eneter the bios and disable the on-board video and then enable I suspect the AGP support, save bios setting upon exit, when done, disconnect video cable. Once, that's done, shutdown/turn-OFF system. No power, now install new card and connect video cable. Repower-ON and check results. Id still no video, reseat video cable again, now wait at least 10min., if no video then you have one of these problems:

1) bad video card
2) video s/w deafults to orginal port and won't release, correctable but you can't see it under NVidea properties
3) need bios flash update
4) newer drivers, get from Nvidea 1st, then ChainTech

I have the 5200FX video card and under winMe, it would flash to black, then ON again. It was working but not well. Using the vendors lastest drivers helped, but the problem persisted. However, when I used the "makers" drivers it seemed to correct itself and only glitch now and then. Moving on to winXP, the problem disappeared. BUT!, beware you do need a stable power supply of at 350W(on video box) capable as you maybe seeing the thershold level of what your current p/s unit can handle, this being yet another area to check. I've since installed a 500W+ p/s myself and apparently, it coould have been the orginal video problem as it was done during my XP OS install. But, I'm not going back to prove otherwise. Wink

happy USA -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Hmm
by cooldude55 / July 7, 2005 1:12 AM PDT
In reply to: I've tried....

Like I said, my BIOS software is extremely primitive. The only thing it lets me toggle between is PCI and Onboard (video card related that is). And me being semi-computer-illiterate, what is the video cable? I don't see any cables. Grin

Collapse -
OK PCI and on-board
by Willy / July 7, 2005 10:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Hmm

The video cable is found on the monitor besides the AC cord, locate it and follow it to the video port.

Next, you have PCI and on-video, your bios supports to switch from one or the other by disabling the on-board, thus the PCI should become active. You say, "primitive bios" even so, you can do that. If you simply can't get it to work, then look for a "bios update". At least check what your current bios is and find out what the last bios update availavle. It may/may not correct your problem, but it worth it to see what the bios updates does before the update. Then follow my instructions, except related to AGP. You should check under the video properties, if the Samsung monitor is shown as the display device as well, if not, correct for that.

happy USA -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Err.....Willie.......
by John Robie / July 7, 2005 4:17 AM PDT
In reply to: I've tried....
Collapse -
Thanks for that ^
by cooldude55 / July 7, 2005 4:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Err.....Willie.......

I'm reading it now...

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) could be a mobo problem...
by nerdyboy1234 / July 7, 2005 9:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks for that ^
Collapse -
Working, but..
by cooldude55 / July 7, 2005 11:20 AM PDT

I need to figure out how to disable the onboard graphics! I've uninstalled the drivers and set the main graphics thing in the BIOS to "PCI" (there is nothing else in the bios that will let me disable it).

Collapse -
Verify
by Willy / July 7, 2005 1:26 PM PDT
In reply to: Working, but..

Installing a new video card on "some systems" would allow the new card to take over, once the on-board video was disabled, if not disabled then directed to PCI mode. Are you saying now, that you're getting video from the new card?
Do you have any "pheriphals listing"? If so, check it to see what if anything is set as. If the PCI video is working, it should display itself upon boot-up as one of the 1st displays seen, is that so?

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Yes.
by cooldude55 / July 7, 2005 11:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Verify

I am now getting video from the new, now working, card. (and I am much pleased :D) and it is in PCI mode. I checked the BIOS once more and there is nothing hard-ware specific other than the computer's processor stats. I would like to be able to disable the onboard graphics to avoid any conflict between the cards.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.