PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Geforce 5200 fx problems (or monitor?)

by pappoo / February 2, 2006 12:32 PM PST

I've had this problem for at least a year. I bought the card 2 years ago and it worked fine when i first installed it. However I would occationally get system errors that would sometimes get traced to the drivers for the video card. So I guess the errors and resets got bad enough that I decided to uninstall the card. Since then I've had nothing but problems with the monitor output. With the card uninstalled, my screen has vertical rows of 'bad' pixels that basically look horrible. Most of the time I can't even read text cuz I can't make out which letters are supposed to be displayed. I've got an Envision flat screen monitor thats basically going to waste. I will occationally look for the newest drivers for the video card and try reinstalling. When I do, the screen blinks and drives me crazy! Not only that, the 'bad' pixels don't go away.

Currently the monitor is connected to the vga port on the card, I've got a dvi adapter on its way. Will it help? It just makes me mad that I have a video card I spent over $100 on and a monitor I dumped a few hundred on and I can't even get a clear picture no matter what I do. Please help!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Geforce 5200 fx problems (or monitor?)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Geforce 5200 fx problems (or monitor?)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
additionally
by pappoo / February 2, 2006 3:43 PM PST

On a side note, the 'bad' pixels arent permanent. They will change if I move my mouse over them or if i minimize a window then maximize it. If I highlight text, it makes the pixels around it get worse. As I move my mouse, some pixels will change to the correct color but then now ones of the wrong color will form. Its obviously does not make viewing a horrific problem since I've been using my computer for 6 months with this problem, but its definitely annoying. I've tried all I can think of to fix this, besides reformatting, reinstalling, and starting from scratch.

Collapse -
Wait don't reformat yet
by krazyken44 / February 3, 2006 12:43 AM PST
In reply to: additionally

You need to trouble shoot this problem.
1>First is this an Intel or AMD CPU?
Chipset drivers matter for graphics
2>Do you have use of another video card(see 3 below) or LCD monitor?
Test by switching one at a time, monitor first.
3>Try complete unistall of the grapic driver and reinstall?
You must remove all traces of the old drivers first before installing new ones.
4>See if there's a monior driver for your model monitor?
This sounds like a graphics card display problem, bad driver install, but a bad LCD isn't out of the question.
Post more info like, a make, models if you need more help.

Collapse -
by pappoo / February 3, 2006 5:24 AM PST

Thanks for the reply!!

1) Intel

2) There is another computer in this room (my sister's). Its older.. I'm pretty sure there's a video card in it and it has a CRT monitor.

3) I've uninstalled/reinstalled the device in device manager many times to no avail.

4) I just downloaded the monitor driver last night and it didn't help.

When my video card gets installed, I get a monitor listing in device manager that lists 4 monitors.. 3 default monitors and 1 plug n play. I dont know why. When the card is not installed there's no monitor listing. I tried hooking the monitor up to the motherboard's outlet (with the comp on) and i got a black screen. I didn't really try fiddling around with that much.

I suppose I'll keep tinkering with it in the meantime.. Thanks!!

Collapse -
update..
by pappoo / February 3, 2006 5:36 AM PST
In reply to: ...

I swapped monitors.. the crt has the same problem on my video card (bad pixels). i'll try to swap video cards later on..

Collapse -
Hmmm
by krazyken44 / February 3, 2006 6:18 AM PST
In reply to: update..

Before you change the card try a driver remove and re install. Please make sure you get all the driver for the card? and get the lastest driver for your card from the card maker, not the nvidia site.

Still, I think your video card may have failed, if the video card change doesn't work than we need to discuss other areas that could cause this problem.

Drivers including chipset drivers all effect video. Is your PC a Intel or an AMD? Brand and model would help me with your problem.

Collapse -
info
by pappoo / February 4, 2006 2:36 AM PST
In reply to: Hmmm

i found all the documentation for the graphics card. it is an asus v9520. i also found the cd for it, but i went to install the drivers needed and when i rebooted, the monitor only displayed in 800x600 and in only 4 colors(!). i couldnt change these settings (they were the only options). i still had the bad pixel problem. i tried installing more drivers off the cd but started getting errors with the cd and couldnt run the setup. i then tried accessing asus's website but got more errors that would close internet explorer. i finally uninstalled the video card and stopped getting the errors. i'm currently on asus's website but cant download drivers. the site takes forever to load and when it finally does no drivers are listed.

my system is one that i built. i have an intel board, intel processor, with an envision en-7100si monitor. if you need anymore info, let me know. thanks for the replies. hopefully we can figure this out.

Collapse -
got drivers
by pappoo / February 4, 2006 2:43 AM PST
In reply to: info

nevermind.. the drivers are downloading now from asus's website. i've got to head to work so i'll have to give an update later

Collapse -
installed drivers..
by pappoo / February 6, 2006 3:08 PM PST
In reply to: got drivers

i installed the new driver pack from asus and still have the bad pixel problem. any ideas as to what's next?

Collapse -
Did you try?
by justanothernoob / February 6, 2006 4:10 PM PST
In reply to: installed drivers..

Go back to the basic VGA driver using device manager then install the card then the new driver cause to me it sounds like the drivers are getting all screwed up and also when you first put the new card in did you just take the old one out and throw the new in with out going back to stock VGA drivers cause that is what i did once and had a problem like this.

Collapse -
Well now maybe
by krazyken44 / February 6, 2006 11:57 PM PST
In reply to: installed drivers..

It's not the monitor. The change to a CRT excludes that it's a monitor problem.

This other person who said something has an idea, but still I think you know how to remove (uninstall) the old drivers and re install them. You must remove all of the old driver and use a genric display. Manaully tell it to use that generic driver, which is what happened when your color set low and you couldn't change it.

There is also a chipset driver for a Intel motherboard, still that's worth a try? DirectX could be corrupted? I seen corrupted directX cause similar problems. That could be reinstalled easily. Bios settings could affect video, but I need the motherboard model to help with that.You could reinstall the whole OS and see if it still happens, but thats a lot work. I would not do the reinstall the OS piece yet. Try this right click My Computer select properties, then hardware tab, push device manager button, and see whats in click + diplay adapters. let me know what's in there? I wonder if there's more than two display adapters showing? Some Intel boards have a built in video chip. This must be disabled first and their drivers removed.

Do you have access to a program that checks computer harware? CNET has some trial software and free card tester software. I had 2 video cards go bad recently. I had Nvidia Geforce fx with a nvidia 5500 check out bad with a the chip it was 3 mos old. I had Radeon 9550 with bad card memory, 9 mos old, do the same weird things except with color, programs, games. It which didn't matter monitor I used. I own 4 monitors to test with.

After all you've done I think it may be a bad video card. I can't be 100% sure, but it sure sounds like it. The DVI adpter won't fix whats wrong I own two LCD's they can run in either plug.
Asus used to have a 3-5 warranty on their video cards RMA the card if it's still under warranty.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.