TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

GeForce 4 MX440 TV OUT Not Satisfactory

by kurt_dogg / January 25, 2006 9:49 AM PST

I recently have been dabling in TV Out. I have an MSI GeForce 4 MX440, NVidia video card. I have the TV Out working but I find the quality to be less than acceptable. It is almost as though a small checkers are running through the screen.

My TV is a 50" Sony LCD, the video card came with a Vivo adapter that facilitates the S-video or RCA it also has a DVI & Vga. The VGA gos to my current monitor so the DVI is available to go to the TV however I don't yet have a DVI cable & am not sure if I should buy one. Perhaps I need a better quality video card & I can stick with S-video (I already bought a 25' cable) I heard that ATI provides better TV out. I'd hate to buy a DVI cable only to find that I get basically the same piture quality, besides I don't want to move my computer that close to the TV & even a short DVI cable is expensive.

Anyone care to advise me with this?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: GeForce 4 MX440 TV OUT Not Satisfactory
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: GeForce 4 MX440 TV OUT Not Satisfactory
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sounds familiar
by steve.trelease / January 25, 2006 10:28 AM PST

I've dabbled with S-video output from my laptop and found it to quite poor. I wouldn't exactly describe it as a checker pattern, but it "shimmies" a bit. Part of this might be horsepower-related, particularly when both monitors are being driven at once; however, you should realize that S-Video resolution is roughly equivalent to 640x480 on a PC monitor. Nobody uses *that* these days, and you can imagine what it would look like on a 50" screen.

VGA output is the same quality as DVI, and quite a bit cheaper. I'm aware of KVM switches, which allow you to connect a single keyboard/mouse/monitor to two PCs. A multi-output VGA switch (if such a thing exists) would probably do the trick.

Collapse -
please fill me in...
by meltor / February 18, 2006 1:35 AM PST
In reply to: Sounds familiar

hi
i have an hp compaq nx 9105 with a nvidia geforce4 440 GO and i haven't yet been able to make the tv out work.
can u tell me how did u make yours to work? what kind of connector did u use (4 pin or 7 pin Svideo, or smth else)?
does it have anything to do with the win XP HOME edition i use? does it need to be professional?
pls help me cause' i'm loosing my minds over here!

lots of thanks

meltor

Collapse -
Options
by steve.trelease / February 20, 2006 3:33 AM PST
In reply to: please fill me in...

If I've understood your original post correctly, it sounds as if you've only tried S-video. This will not give you an acceptable level of resolution. Try the RCA out (temporarily, not as a permanent solution) and you will see a similarly low quality result for comparison's sake.

DVI or VGA are your best options for an HDTV. I am using VGA to connect directly to my 50" plasma set - the quality is outstanding, and I'm not using a partilcularly high-powered video card.

Collapse -
It is the cable
by HTHMAN / January 25, 2006 12:43 PM PST

Just about any video card out there will support 1024x768 and much sharper. Your card far exceeds any demand you will need for HDTV. Your faster cards with more RAM just help the newer 3D video games.

Collapse -
DVI or VGA
by kurt_dogg / January 26, 2006 8:18 AM PST
In reply to: It is the cable

I have DVI Female on both my TV & my video card. Does video travel both ways on a DVI-D cable with male on both ends? I notice a lot of DVI cables have m on one end & f on the other.

Or would I be better off getting a VGA adapter for the TV DVI port & sending the vga cable to the TV?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?