Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Gee, I wonder if Sen. Durbin will apologize...

...for his gratuitous slurs on our military, and if Jihad TV will give it any play at all, unlike the extensive air time they gave Sen. Durbin's scurrillous slanders in the first place: Report Discredits F.B.I. Claims of Abuse at Guant

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Gee, I wonder if Sen. Durbin will apologize...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Gee, I wonder if Sen. Durbin will apologize...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Short answer, NO. Long answer, NO.

In reply to: Gee, I wonder if Sen. Durbin will apologize...

Tony Snow has made the comment several times on the radio that of ALL the politcos that he has ever dealt with, Durbin is the biggest jerk ever. As someone who lives in Illinois, it's my goal to get that guy out of office.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) O the Clintons arent responsible for this?

In reply to: Short answer, NO. Long answer, NO.

Collapse -
Shhhh

We need more like him and Dean to open their mouths.

Collapse -
Always laughable

In reply to: 10 former interrogators could not be questioned

it must be a conspiracy if there is no evidence of a conspiracy. Maybe no one is being punished because there is no actionable offense. And of course, no offense is found, there must be a cover up. Keep looking until one is found.

Collapse -
it must be a conspiracy

In reply to: Always laughable

Whenever the people that are ''under suspicion'' investigate themselves that is always the case.

Just as the interogators that can't be found by the FBI, because ''it was too difficult'' so ''they didn't ask any questions'' are assumed to be lying.

If I was an interrogator and someone came to me to ask questions about ''what I did'' and the first words out of their mouth probably would be something like

''We'd like to ask you a few questions, anything you say can and will be written down, and may be used against you''

I would be reluctant to answer.

Collapse -
credibility problem emanating from FBI headquarters?

Were the interogator that couldn't be found in the military or the FBI?

Your article states the interrogators were "no longer in the military"

So if a FBI agent makes a charge and the only other people that are there are military (and they can't be found or won't talk) then the story can't be confirmed.

Collapse -
From the article, Bill:

In reply to: credibility problem emanating from FBI headquarters?

General Schmidt said that an accusation by an F.B.I. agent that detainees were deprived of food and water as part of an interrogation regimen could not be substantiated. He said the agent was difficult to find and was therefore not questioned by his staff.

That isn't one of the former military interrogators - that's the FBI agent whose email started all this. Question: If the agent was so eager to report such massive wrongdoing, why in hell couldn't he be bothered to spend an hour answering the questions that the investigators wanted to ask?

Could it be that maybe he never actually SAW such things, but was merely parroting stories that he was told about? They have a name for that in the law: hearsay evidence - and it's usually NOT admissible in a court of law.

Sorry, Bill; without someone coming forward with REAL proof of these allegations, we can only logically deduce that they either didn't happen, or that they were totally authorized interrogation techniques - in which case, all we have is a kertuffle and no illegality.
Collapse -
Response

In reply to: From the article, Bill:

"difficult to find" indicates that they found him "but it was difficult"

Why no questions? Or they didn't want to spend too much time looking?

why in hell couldn't he be bothered to spend an hour answering the questions that the investigators wanted to ask?

As I said, possiblity of being charged.

that they were totally authorized interrogation techniques

yes

Collapse -
Being charged with WHAT?

In reply to: Response

This FBI agent was NOT an interrogator - merely someone who allegedly had seen such activities. therefore, he wasn't in ANY danger of being charged with ANY crime; in fact, he would have stood to be some sort of hero for disclosing this wrongdoing.

So again, I ask: Why wouldn't he make himself available to answer the questions raised by his email - unless he was just reporting hearsay "evidence", and really didn't see anything...

Collapse -
Response

In reply to: Being charged with WHAT?

Question: If the agent was so eager to report such massive wrongdoing, why in hell couldn't he be bothered to spend an hour answering the questions that the investigators wanted to ask?

He said the agent was difficult to find and was therefore not questioned by his staff.

Difficult to find and was not questioned

They don't say if they found the agent or not, they just say he was"difficult to find" and no questions were asked. They don't say they asked questions and he refused to answer.

Why didn't they get the FBI to find him?

Duany said evidence gathered in the probe potentially could be used later to bring charges against military and civilian interrogators

I don't know which specific charges Duany is referring to. but some charges that were laid against interrogators in other prisons.

This FBI agent was NOT an interrogator

I didn't see that statement in the article.
Collapse -
Then, of course, there's the small matter of Sen. Durbin

In reply to: From the article, Bill:

politicizing the whole thing, and violating Senate rules by disclosing the contents of the FBI report thereby putting the agent into an untennable position.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) My Favorite Amendment: The Fifth!!!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!