PC Hardware forum

General discussion

GE Optical Mouse MELTING!

by Yttrical / April 28, 2005 2:09 AM PDT

I returned home today to find a burning smell coming out of my computer room. When I went in there I noticed my GE Optical Mouse had melted itself into a mess and was proceeding to burn a hole in my mouse pad. I ended up having to turn off the computer and wait till the mouse was cool enough to remove it. But not my PC won't come back on. Has anyone else had their mouse melt on them?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: GE Optical Mouse MELTING!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: GE Optical Mouse MELTING!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Is the mounse unplugged?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 28, 2005 2:11 AM PDT

While unusual, such things do happen when power supplies fail. I was witness to a total machine wipeout when the power supply failed. Not much survived.


Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Love the typos...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 28, 2005 2:12 AM PDT
Collapse -
Yes it's unplugged
by Yttrical / April 28, 2005 2:19 AM PDT

You mean since it melted? Yeah it's unplugged. I can understand how a faulty power supply could fry my motherboard, but how would it cause the laser in my mouse to start burning things? I know that laser devices use thermal cooling chips to regulate the temprature of the laser so that something like this would never happen. But I've never heard of one going out. My thoughts are GE just bought cheap parts.

Collapse -
I'd have to dissect it to find out why. Guess?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 28, 2005 2:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes it's unplugged

- How about the 5V power supply rail went to 10V. What would all the parts think about about that?

- You wouldn't believe how many machines I've removed the cover to find loose screws floating inside the case. Let's ask what happens if this conductive material lands in the right spot. What would happen?

- Many homemade PCs get built with an extra mounting post in the area of the back of the motherboard. It's fatal about 50% of the time.

Your story is a bit rare, but not unbelievable.


Collapse -
More information
by Yttrical / April 28, 2005 2:48 AM PDT

Well when I left the computer it was off. Also it is a factory build eMachine and I haven't been inside the case so I really shouldn't have loose screws. And the power supply going from 5V to 10V would be bad but wouldn't the motherboard already have the components inplace to keep that from affecting the mouse? I'm not saying it's impossible for the PS/2 port to receive more power than normal, but while the computer is off, and there's nothing shorting it out?

Collapse -
In theory, but this is reality.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 28, 2005 2:57 AM PDT
In reply to: More information

Such failures do occur and now it's your choice to open it up to see if you can sniff out what's dead or ???

What direction are you going here?


Collapse -
Just using the internet.
by Yttrical / April 28, 2005 3:24 AM PDT

I'm just trying to see if anyone else has ever had such a problem. And what might be similar to my situation. I know there's a good number of things that could cause this to happen but a google search on this subject hasn't returned any other instances of this problem. So what better than to ping the world for other people with the same problem.

Collapse -
Yes. I've seen the issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 28, 2005 3:51 AM PDT

Not that the mouse melted, but nice smoke as anything on the 5 Volt rail fried.

The causes for the dead machines I've seen are all over the map (I listed a few.)


Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions


Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?