HolidayBuyer's Guide

Laptops forum

General discussion

Gateway Solo 5300 shutting down unexpectantly

by server_room / July 22, 2004 5:56 AM PDT

I have a Gateway Solo 5300 laptop (PIII 600mhz, 192 MB ram, 10 GB HDD, Win XP Pro) and it won't stay on when I try to turn it on. Sometimes I can get it past the login screen but normally not even past the BIOS screen. I have determined that this is not a driver problem due to it not even showing the BIOS screen before shutting off. The CPU fan runs all the time, all the dust is cleared out of the intake and exhaust. When in windows when it shuts down first the screen goes black then I hear static coming from the speakers then it shuts down 5 seconds later.
Yesterday I thought I had this fixed when I reset the CPU and replaced the thermal compound. It ran for 15 hours straight, I then shut it down for a few hours today then this afternoon I tried to turn it on and thus back to the drawing board. I will note as well that the battery only lasts 15-20 minutes. But I have been using the external power adapter this whole time.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Gateway Solo 5300 shutting down unexpectantly
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Gateway Solo 5300 shutting down unexpectantly
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Gateway Solo 5300 shutting down unexpectantly
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 22, 2004 6:04 AM PDT

Time to dissassemble a little and see if you can put a dab of conductive heatsink compound on the CPU and put it all back together. It sounds like heat is the issue or you have the original battery and the batteries need changing (BOTH CMOS and the big one.)

Just guessing, but cheaper than a new laptop.

Here's why you may have NO CHOICE but to replace the main battery. As it ages (and fails) the cells can short out causing a load on the laptop power systems. I've seen people ignore this battery and run on AC and after a year or two the laptop power supply fails. Too bad they didn't get a new battery.

Bob

Collapse -
by server_room / July 22, 2004 6:08 AM PDT

May I point out that regardless of whether I have the main battery installed or not I still get the same symptoms

Collapse -
by server_room / July 22, 2004 6:10 AM PDT

I did redo the cpu thermal compound just yesterday are you saying that I should put more on?

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 22, 2004 7:47 AM PDT

1. I wouldn't know that about the battery.

2. I couldn't know that you put some compound on the CPU.

My advice is to try again. I've seen this when the CMOS battery is near death and the poor soul racked up a 100 dollar service charge to change what can be a 5 buck Radio Shack battery.

My advice is still to try again. Again, I've seen people strip down a laptop to where the heatsink is off. Sometimes they don't get it fastened back on. I can only give hints and guesses. Without seeing and being there, this is about all that can be done.

Bob

Collapse -
by server_room / July 23, 2004 12:29 AM PDT

I reapplied the compound and there was no change in the symptoms. 10 hours later, even after a cold boot it would shut down before it reached windows.

This looks more like a power issue to me.

The CMOS battery tested at 3.3v which should be good.

Here is a page with all the parts for the Gateway Solo laptop: http://www.mundocorp.com/5300.html

Maybe it needs a new DC board? Because I noticed the part of the laptop that was hotter than the rest was that area by the DC board. Even the CPU was cooler than this area.

Collapse -
Don't boot windows.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 23, 2004 12:46 AM PDT

Maybe you covered this, but boot DOS. Did it stay up?

The reason I ask is simple. This forum software is gruesome read past posts.

----------------

Freeze spray.

You can still get freeze or cooling spray to troubleshoot electronics. If there is some part warming up, I often found it by hitting the suspect part with the freeze spray and noting if that fixed it. Then we would change that part.

------------

No warranty on parts. What is reality and you may not accept is if you buy a power supply part, there won't be any exchange or return priviledges. Perils of repair.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Don't boot windows.
by server_room / July 23, 2004 3:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Don't boot windows.
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.