General discussion

Gateway or Router

I hope this is an easy straight-forward question. I have a Linksys wireless router, (WRT54GL w/ ver: 4.30.11 firmware), on a Cable ISP. Everything is working perfect except for one small glitch. Once in a while, a little proxy server program I use, (eDexter), fails and I have to restart it. Other than that, I have great speed, wide open access, and everything works perfect.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Gateway or Router
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Gateway or Router
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Forgot to add...

On the initial setup page of the router, it is set to, "Automatic Configuration- DHCP". The -Gateway- or -Router- selection box is on the "Advanced Routing" tab of the "Setup" page.

- Collapse -
Router/gateway

I don't think it will do much either way if you change it. Most so called routers people use in their house are what this router is calling a gateway. They pretty much take everything from a single group of machines and pass it to a single internet connection.

This router has the ability to choose where to send traffic based on information received from other routers. Not exactly sure why this is on a router targeted at the home market. Generally when you need this feature you need other features provided on equipment targeted more to business.

Unless you have another router and multiple subnets all you need is the gateway. I don't think it would hurt to turn it on. Worst that will happen is you send RIP updates to the ISP who will drop them...unless they are very stupid.

- Collapse -
Thank you

Thanks for the quick reply. It probably won't affect the little quirk I'm dealing with so I think I'll stick to the old, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Wink

- Collapse -
I read your post

and declined to reply then because I don't know much about routers. i also found bill012's reply informative.

However, I did a little research on this eDexter because I hadn't heard of it before. I found a couple of sites about eDexter, and in particular the one below which is a FAQ page;

http://accs-net.com/hosts/faq.html

I noticed that this page hasn't been updated since 2002, and in fact the eDexter utility seems quite old now.

That makes me wonder. Browsers and security has moved on now, and I wonder if this utility is a little dated for today's systems and browsers. Also, using a HOSTS file to block unwanted events is not something we see a lot of nowadays. HOSTS was a useful tool some years ago, but now with browser add-ons, (eg Firefox's AdBlockPlus, NoScript, WOT, and so on, and some of which are available for IE), I am thinking that using HOSTS to prevent ads and block unwanted sites may no longer be the best way.

Just thinking out loud here, and I have no wish to get you to change anything that has worked for you for some time. Like you say, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Regards.

Mark

- Collapse -
eDexter IS old but...

...I emailed the author about it. Apparently it is still useful and even functional in a 64-bit environment. I actually quit using it when I got this computer, (Win Home Premium 64bit), and downloaded one of those add-blockers you mentioned. But out of curiosity, I looked into the eDexter thing and was surprised to learn that it was still effective in this situation. It is very unique in that a very small list of entries can accomplish the same thing as an extremely large HOSTS file. So my HOSTS file now has only two entries in it, the remainder of the filtering is done by the "Auto-Pac" feature of eDexter. it's amazing how it works. I just have something on this computer that conflicts with it on occasion. I don't even have to have a browser open for the conflict to occur. It's a minor issue and not worth dealing with using additional software for ad blocking.

- Collapse -
You're right of course.

Interesting description of how eDexter works. Thank you.

I can see why browsers work faster with a Host File defense, because browsers always check through the Host file first anyway.

Tell us more about your problem because I note where you said this happens even if no browsers are open. How do you know that eDexter has failed at such times, and what do you mean by 'conflict'?

What do you have to do to get eDexter working again?

Do you have this utility on all your machines, and if so, does this occur on all, or just one? Which one if just one?

Mark

- Collapse -
eDexter issues...

...are really minor. I'm not certain "conflict" is the correct word for what happens but I don't know what else to call it right now. It is very rare and occurs so intermittantly that it is very difficult to nail down a cause.

CNET Forums