Laptops forum

General discussion

Gateway MX6421(Turion) vs. HP DV4000

by rbaker1366 / February 1, 2006 4:47 PM PST

Does anyone have any experience with the Gateway AMD 64 Turion laptops in regards to battery life. I am also considering the Hp Dv4000 series for the track record, internal bluetooth, speaker, etc.. It just costs 300 bucks and I can't find a review of the gateway.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Gateway MX6421(Turion) vs. HP DV4000
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Gateway MX6421(Turion) vs. HP DV4000
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Gateway MX6424
by gsjr / February 2, 2006 11:43 PM PST

I just purchased a new Gateway MX 6424, so far I love it.I chose it over the HP dv4000 because of it's battery life, AMD Turion 64 processor, and overall better reports. The HP has the least battery life of 3 units that were tested, and the Gateway was rated best. Try Costco and check it out.

Collapse -
Gateway Mx6424
by rbaker1366 / February 3, 2006 6:05 PM PST
In reply to: Gateway MX6424

Thanks for the info. Does the MX6424 come with bluetooth and a way to easily disable the mouse touchpad? I was also somewhat interested in the ability to utilize the GPU(dvd,etc.) without powering up the system. The MX6421 does not have bluetooth but I was wondering if a card could be added as opposed to using the usb converter.

Collapse -
The generic answer regarding the mouse pad is
by togus / February 3, 2006 9:05 PM PST
In reply to: Gateway Mx6424

you can change these device settings easily by opening the
"Mouse" icon in your windows "Control Panel" folder:

1. open control panel.
2. find the "Mouse" icon and double-click
it.
4. In the Mouse window are tabs that control your pointing devices and cursor settings. There should be an option to disable your Touch Pad.

Regarding bluetooth, you can always buy a bluetooth mouse, Targus has one that comes with a receiver that will allow control of the mouse and, I think up to five, other devices.

Collapse -
Mouse and Bluetooth
by rbaker1366 / February 4, 2006 4:44 AM PST

In regards to the mouse control, I am aware of the control panel option, but some computers have a one button option to turn it on and off.
In regards to the bluetooth, I was wondering if you can have a bluetooth card installed on the computer aftermarket. If it is possible,is it very expensive?
I have a bluetooth mouse but it will not work unless the computer is bluetooth enabled or if there is a usb bluetooth module.

Collapse -
Battery Life
by powersaw / April 3, 2006 2:18 PM PDT

I have an MX6421 with Turion 64 and it has very good battery life. When just in internet explorer or typing (anything that uses almost no CPU) I got up to 4 hours once. When doing processor/GPU intensive stuff such as gaming or graphic design the batter life is similar to any other intel processor. Bottom line, its very good at lowering the clocks when it doesn't need it to save life.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.