General discussion

gateway laptops and sustomer service

I am considering purchasing a gateway laptop ec 8801. Is there any feedback re cusotmer satisfaction with the unit. Any problems with gateway tech or customer support? IS this a good unit. I saw it in nyc for about 1,000..

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: gateway laptops and sustomer service
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: gateway laptops and sustomer service
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
What support?

It's well known that problems with Windows are rarely helped by any of the makers of Windows laptops. As to hardware issues it is best to report such early as possible and when out of warranty to know you get to pay for it.

There's not much else to this support except to note that very few warranties cover loss of use. That is, if a machine needs a part and there is no part for a few months all the makers tend to do is to extend the warranty for the time lost.

My question is simple. Does the lack of Windows support bother folk?
Bob

- Collapse -
lack of windows support

Microsoft does not really provide any support as far as I can see. I have a dell now and extended warranty which they have been ok with. but had to pay extra for software support. What do you recommend a MAc?

- Collapse -
What do you recommend a MAc?

Sorry but I rarely recommend those unless the owner is in need of heavy support. I agree that Microsoft needs to get better. Here's an Apple feature that is absent in Windows. Ready?

"Reinstall the OS and save the user's files."

While I could give such a passing grade if the non-OS apps vanished the lack of caring about the user's files has been with us since Microsoft's pre-DOS days. Yes, Microsoft did business before DOS with CP/M, Xenix (read:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenix ) as well as other systems but from day zero the safety of our files or content was always "not our problem."

This means that when a Windows OS fails most folk lose their stuff. Yes we have great ideas (noted at the Cnet Storage forums and more) but for now Windows Support is a dream.
Bob

- Collapse -
so what laptop would be ok for 1000-1400 range

You know I am a touch typist and dont need to look at the keyboard. But most of these new laptops have very flat keyboards that cause me to make mistakes and slow my typing. Are you aware of any nice , moderatley light laptops that actually have the older fashioned keys?

- Collapse -
About keyboards.

We can go shopping for that at the stores. I actually like the flat ones I see on the HP G62's. I don't care for the dv6 keyboards as they are a bit too slick and you have to really hit the key much harder than other laptops.

For keyboarding I have to shop the models. Reviews rarely cover this.

In fact I'm going out to see what's at the local BB this afternoon.
Bob

- Collapse -
thanks

I am really looking for a light weight lap top. like the Gateway ec or mac air, but have issues with both.

- Collapse -
Another maker.

A friend is pretty happy with their new Toshiba i3 powered 17 inch laptop. Now he too though "this is going to be heavy" but it wasn't. Go shopping and see the current models (and keyboards.)
Bob

- Collapse -
thanks

I went to Best Buy and Staples todcay. I annot believe how many lap tops there are.

- Collapse -
That's the way to find good keyboards and check out weight

I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on that best buy dell 14 inch model.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info