Laptops forum

General discussion

Gateway laptop turn on but wont charge.

by nickvanbeek / August 30, 2008 11:44 AM PDT

so...my gateway t-1620 sometimes gets to hot and will stop running off A/C power and it will run off only the battery until the battery dies and i cant use it any more. But after it cools down i still cant get the battery to charge. The indicter light on the front does not even turn on when i plug it back in.

This has happened to me several times. The first time it happened i gave it to my dad and told him my computer overheated and wouldn't charge. The next day he told me that he fixed it and he had reset the circuit breaker type thing in the computer or the charger(cant remember). The next time it happened i just let my laptop sit over night and cool down and the next day it was fine. It happened again and now it wont turn on and i have waited 24 hours and i'm not sure what to do. Is there something i have to reset inside my computer or my power brick because the power brick gets really hot too.

Cheers
Nick

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Gateway laptop turn on but wont charge.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Gateway laptop turn on but wont charge.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Is this your laptop?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 30, 2008 11:48 AM PDT
Collapse -
Yea...
by nickvanbeek / August 30, 2008 11:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Is this your laptop?

That is my laptop. It does overheat more when playing 3D games but i think it will still overheat if i do really high performance tasks. I do use a laptop cooling pad sometimes when playing 3D games but the cooling pad decreases the performance of my laptop right when i plug it in.

Collapse -
That's very very strange.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 30, 2008 12:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Yea...

My really old Compaq R3000 Athlon 64 laptop loves the cooling pad. It keeps it running at full CPU 100% loads for days (we used to render video on it.)

Maybe you use the laptops USB port for power? See if you can get a wall wart to run that. Example at http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=USB+WALL+CHARGERS&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&oq= (I see freebies!)

Back to your machine. At the very least get a laptop stand. I can't stress how bad heat is for a laptop. I also like to hit the vents with compressed air every year.
Bob

Collapse -
by nickvanbeek / August 30, 2008 12:20 PM PDT

I try as hard as i can to keep the computer vents up of the ground so they are not covered. My laptop does run a usb cooling pad but I dont see why it would slow my laptop down so much especially when running off A/C power. But this is not my real concern i am working on it. I really need to figure out how to get my laptop running again. I think there is some kind of trick, like reseting an internal circuit breaker type thing, to get my laptop charging again.

Collapse -
No trickery.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 30, 2008 12:40 PM PDT
In reply to: .

Ask your dad to check battery contacts and more but there are only 3 parts to the battery and power system. The power "brick", the motherboard and the battery. Your story sounds grim but if it's under warranty be sure you are making that call. You don't want to know how much to fix out of warranty.
Bob

Collapse -
by nickvanbeek / September 2, 2008 10:30 AM PDT
In reply to: No trickery.

Is there a way for me to test weather my laptop charger is working or not?

Collapse -
You already did that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 2, 2008 10:40 AM PDT
In reply to: .

Given the story so far, do not delay getting it fixed under warranty. You don't want to pay for this one.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?