Laptops forum

General discussion

Gateway FX P-7805u or macbook?

by Sweendogie / May 12, 2009 11:47 AM PDT

im having a hard time trying to figure out which laptop to buy for college... anyone have any suggestions any help would be awesome thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Gateway FX P-7805u or macbook?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Gateway FX P-7805u or macbook?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did you ask your school?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 12, 2009 10:10 PM PDT

Many have a 4 year laptop plan. Those are amazing deals.

Collapse -
PC or Mac
by TimWoodChip Intel staff / May 13, 2009 2:54 AM PDT

Sweendogie,
I always recommend checking with your college before you buy. Are you headed into a major where SW is more readily available for PCs than Macs? The GW is a good overall machine but keep in mind it is a entry level gaming notebook. At 9 pounds you may get real tired of lugging it around campus unless you plan to use it as desktop replacement. Macs are great too, high ease of use and with some many Apple stores around these days, getting tech help and fixes can be done without shipping your notebook away.

Here is the specific CNET review of the Gateway: http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/gateway-fx-p-7805u/4505-3121_7-33496191.html

TimWoodChip
#tomorrow

==========
Disclosure: TimWoodChip is an Intel employee and aspirational sponsor of tomorrow

Collapse -
Gateway vs. Mac
by Renegade Knight / May 13, 2009 4:18 AM PDT

You got good advice in other posts. However to answer your question.

No contest. Mac. Gateway support is worse than Dell and Dell is horrid. My Last Gateway was sent in twice for warranty work. It still has problems only trying to get support to recognize the problem as what it is (a problem) is nigh impossible.

My MacBook however is doing great. I hear Apple has good support and thankfully I'm in my favorite position of not needing it. I even installed Vista on it and Vista "just works" on my Mac better than my Gateway where it was the Native OS.

Even if you hate OSX with a passion I would take the Mac and install Windows on it before Gateway.

Can you tell I feel stronly about this?

Collapse -
not a fair comparision
by JonTitor / May 13, 2009 10:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Gateway vs. Mac

I don't just want to assume you're like most people, but when most people say they had a Gateway, it was probably one of the cheaper, low quality, off the shelf models, the Gateway FX laptops, however, are much higher quality laptops and excellent considering price

Collapse -
Running Vista on an Apple is
by orlbuckeye / May 15, 2009 5:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Gateway vs. Mac

running in a virtual desktop and can't run as fast as Vista running natively as the OS.

Collapse -
by Sweendogie / May 13, 2009 5:28 AM PDT

thank you for your responses, im definitely going to have to check with my school for a deal, i know both are great machines and ive researched both for awhile now and i still cant come to a conclusion... i guess the price is what kind of bothers me... i can get a refurbished gateway p-7805u for $702 dollars shipped from tiger direct with a 5% live cash back making it even cheaper, and the mac is much more expensive... the weight of the computer wont really bother me im just wanting to get the best laptop for the money is the mac really worth $1000 more?

Collapse -
other brands?
by deniceels / May 15, 2009 5:14 AM PDT
In reply to: ...

Why not consider other brands like lenovo/ibm, fujitsu or hp?

Regardless of brands, most important is the parts inside it. Is the harddisk from certain manufacturer, motherboard + processor stability, optical drive manufacturer, stuffs like that.

Then there's "Is that model's series/batch has any significant hardware issues before?" or "How is the support from the reseller like? Is it responsive or slow"

Just my 1cent cheap thoughts.

Collapse -
by Sweendogie / May 15, 2009 5:38 AM PDT
In reply to: other brands?

Ive just heard a lot of good things about both the macbook and the gateway and they both have great reviews on here... originally i had it narrowed down to The HP DV71285dx Gateway P-7805u and the macbook 2.4 ghz... i went to bestbuy and checked out all three and i really liked the macbook and the gateway but wasnt to sure about the dv71285dx ... im still open to other laptops i just thought the gateway was a great deal for the money and ive always liked the mac... im open to suggestions

Collapse -
Remember their is much more software
by orlbuckeye / May 15, 2009 6:03 AM PDT
In reply to: ...

available for pc's and what your going to use the laptop for may say which is better. Apple does have good graphic application software for majors that utilize it but for business and technical the PC has far more software and is used in the real world more then Apple. My compnay has over 2000 pc's and 0 Apples.

Collapse -
Some questions first. . .
by CodyG [WINDOWS-TEAM] / May 15, 2009 6:25 AM PDT

Aside from figuring out whether or not your school has any suggestions or discount for you, you might also want to consider what exactly you're looking to use the laptop for.

Staying open to comparison shop other brands like some folks mentioned is a great way to make sure that you get the best value for your money.

There are a few great online apps that can help you find the computer that suits you best, but first, make sure you know some specifics about what you want in a laptop (aside from a brand name or just a good deal). Are you going to want something really portable, or something a little bigger? What are your budget limits?

Hopefully, we can use the answers to some of these questions to help you come to a final decision on what new machine to get!

Thanks,

Cody
Windows Outreach Team

Collapse -
To tell you the truth
by Sweendogie / May 15, 2009 6:40 AM PDT

it doesnt matter to me how much it weighs, i dont want to spend over $1800 really... i havent decided what im going to do in college as a major but im sure whichever laptop i get will be fine, mostly all i do on my laptop is watch movies download music and videos and play the occasional game here and there... if i were to get one of the gateways should i go with the 7805u or the 7807u? is the different processor worth the extra $200?

Collapse -
Looks pretty good!
by CodyG [WINDOWS-TEAM] / May 15, 2009 7:28 AM PDT
In reply to: To tell you the truth

Something you might want to check out is this new application called ?Laptop Scout,? which is designed to help people find a computer that best fits their needs. Here?s a link to the site, if you want to check it out for yourself: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-laptop-scout/default.aspx

I did a quick search for you on the site, and the Gateway 7805 you were talking about did pop up as a potential match for you, based on what you?re looking for (graphics for games and movies, with good disk storage). It?s definitely a great PC for either gaming or watching movies. . .the one drawback is that it weighs about nine pounds. If you really aren?t concerned about portability though, that shouldn?t be a problem. With a 2.26 GHz processor, and 4GB of RAM, you should have all the speed you need.

If you?re totally convinced that Gateway is the way to go, that one looks like a good value for the price. If you?re open to some other options, check out the Laptop Scout. It?ll let you compare and contrast between a few models to make sure you?re getting the most for your money. It?ll also link you to some Cnet.com reviews, if you want to get really in-depth.

I hope this is helpful, let me know if there?s anything else I can help with, or if you have any more questions.
Thanks,
Cody
Windows Outreach Team

Collapse -
p-7807u?
by Franiel90 / July 4, 2009 8:18 PM PDT
In reply to: To tell you the truth

where do you get this one at im looking for a fx . i also saw the p-7809u and i dont know where to get one.... if anyone can tell me that would be great

Collapse -
buy it at tigerdirect.cim
by brutis03 / November 13, 2009 7:42 AM PST
In reply to: p-7807u?

i bought one a month ago, i love it. it's a great laptop for all around use. link !

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.