Laptops forum

General discussion

Gateway fails to support parts for 600 series notebooks

by romamor / December 14, 2004 5:45 AM PST

I have a 600 series notebook still under warranty. Last fall the battery failed. I have been attempting to order a replacement battery since Sept. Despite numerous conversations with Gateway (and hours of wasted time), I have been unable to obtain one. At one point, a tech promised me a refurbished replacement to use in the interim. After waiting for two weeks, I called and found out that not only would I not be recieving it (another dept cancelled the order because the battery itself was no longer under warranty), they also took it upon themselves to cancel the order I had placed for the new one in Sept.. Since Sept., they have promised 3 different estimated delivery dates, and a quick check of my order today revealed that they now claim they will not be available until mid January (last estimate was December 12). Bottom line - do you really want to invest in a laptop that is functionally obsolete before the warranty is even up?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Gateway fails to support parts for 600 series notebooks
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Gateway fails to support parts for 600 series notebooks
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Gateway closed all retail stores and merged with E-machines
by KenSanramon / December 15, 2004 3:23 PM PST

The merger with E-machines (headquarters for Gateway moved to Irvine where E-machines was based from San Diego) is a good thing in the long run as E-machines low-end desktops actually had decent reliability. I had a 400ghz Celeron for my mother first (a mistake but it never had a hardware failure) and then an Athlon noteobook (much better and she still uses that and only a Windows reinstall after getting hit with the Blaster virus was needed).

But notebooks are not as generic as desktops so you should stick with the larger companies that are NOT in transition if you suspect issues like this (Dell, HP/Compaq, Dell and IBM. IBM has been purchased by a Chinese company (the computer part) but IBM will keep doing the service and support themselves and they have a stake in the Chinese company.

Gateway has some outstanding deals on Athlon 64 and Pentium M notebooks at Best buy but you have to wonder about the service issues ..........

Collapse -
Gateway ... stay away!
by ajsantucci / July 8, 2005 12:36 AM PDT

I posted earlier about my 600 series notebook boat-anchor. At the time we purchased (at a GW retail store in the Carolinas), it was the best deal for the $$ compared to Dell and all the others. The system performed well for about one year when the lock-ups began. I've been on the phone with their support and have gotten no where .. oh, they did turn me on to Webroot Spy Sweeper which works well, but not on the GW .. the laptop locks up because when Spy Sweeper performs its scan, the CPU fan turns on, the CPU pegs at 100% and the whole machine locks up.

Collapse -
If you want to tackle your issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 8, 2005 1:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Gateway ... stay away!

It's a known issue with many laptops (even those not from Gateway.) If you are here to just rant, then read no further.

-> Most are never told that laptops do require a dusting and cleaning from time to time. Also the CPU heatsink retaining system can pop off (again, not a Gateway exclusive) which might be fixable by some owners.

If you don't want to dive it then don't read further. If you don't want to open up the laptop, look to other repair centers like or

Best of luck, and I'm deaf to rants.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?