Computer Help forum

General discussion

Gateway Dx 4300-11 Upgraded Advice

I have a gateway dx 4300-11 that is essentially still like brand new it purchased it new in 2009 and have had zero problems with it since. I want to do a couple of upgrades on it and I just need some advice about what to do.

Computer Specs are:
amd Phenom II x 805 Quad core processor 2.5 ghz
1 TB Hdd
1 500 gb Hdd
8 gb of ram
still using on board HD video through hdmi
factory 400watt Psu

I would like to add a decent video card to this machine with again hdmi, and 2 ssd drives to replace the ones that are in there to make it a little more efficient would like to use the factory Psu also if possible if not can you please recommend something. I do not use this machine for gaming it is only used for watching movies and other media tasks. thank you in advance for any help and suggestions on what to install in it

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Gateway Dx 4300-11 Upgraded Advice
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Gateway Dx 4300-11 Upgraded Advice
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The PSU must always be checked.

In reply to: Gateway Dx 4300-11 Upgraded Advice

If it's a single rail +12V it might be ready but it's old. So keep it on the list.

Try the usual Nvidia 1050 GPU and be sure the RAM is dual channel.

SSDs are great, lower power so not much to write there.

Collapse -
thank you

In reply to: The PSU must always be checked.

I think I will go ahead and change out the Psu while I am working on it any recommendations on one there are so many out there I just want something good and reliable since it will be like new again I will have to verify if the ram in it is dual channel or not it is the ram that came with the computer so I am not sure on that one

Collapse -
How I check dual channel?

In reply to: thank you

Collapse -
Video

Collapse -
answer to last post

In reply to: Video

Bob I'm just curious if I add a video card if the picture quality watching movies will be better if not I will just use the on board video then all I need to add for my upgrade are the ssd's there doesn't seem to be any issues with it now video works great through hdmi

Collapse -
Monitor

In reply to: answer to last post

What monitor are you using now?

I'd be looking for a 1080p with an ips panel.

Collapse -
info asked for

In reply to: Monitor

Bob I actually have it hooked up to my tv right now which is a 1080p smart tv but I also at times have it hooked up to the monitor which I purchased with the computer which is a gateway fhx 2300 and Bob if I go with a video card is there an equivalent to the nvidea 1050 that has a little bit smaller price tag on it but if it isn't gonna make a difference in the video quality I am gonna just stay with the on board video which is an ATI Radeon 3200 HD adapter and then I'll just by a couple ssd drives to go in it

Collapse -
Video

In reply to: info asked for

Your monitor is a tn panel so that's not going to give you the best in image quality.

If your 3200 can drive both displays at 1080p with smooth rendering then I don't see what a video card will do for you....but then again I don't know what you mean by quality.

Collapse -
Another upgrade question

In reply to: Video

Bob I think I am just gonna continue to use the on board video because it works perfectly fine right now nice clear picture on tv and monitor through hdmi now my question is this I have this system set up with 2 hdd's 1 1tb with windows 10 and 1 500gb with windows 7 because I still use Windows 7 at times for some work related things so should I replace both drives with the same size ssd drives or should I just by 1 big one and set it up to dual boot

Collapse -
Upgrade

In reply to: Another upgrade question

Don't know.
I'll let others tell about the pro's and con's of each setup.
I'm leaning toward a 2 ssd setup with no facts to justify that.

Collapse -
So the video upgrade is about video QUALITY.

The "quality" of HDTV is mostly about the TV. I have a 2009 Sony Vaio with a Core2Duo onboard graphics and 1080p is just as good as my current gen laptop with a Nvidia 960m.

I didn't know your direction and reason for the upgrade till now.

Most of the time it's gaming but here you ask about display quality. Let's get into that.

1. If you are experiencing frame loss then a faster GPU will help.
2. Once on HDMI it's digital and not much will help picture quality other than a better set.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.