Desktops forum

General discussion

Gateway desktops

Does anyone have any opinions on gateways? I have looked all different computers. I can have one built locally and purchase mass produced. Any comments?

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Gateway desktops
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Gateway desktops
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
gateways

In reply to: Gateway desktops

Personally I dont care for gateways that much. My friend had a couple and I wasnt impressed with the machine given the price. I recently purchased an HP and have had problems with it as well. My so called warranty isnt worth anything since my DVD+- died on me and the experts at their India "service center" run me around in circles for hours until I finally have given up. Heard the same thing about other major brands. Basically for the money I would go with a Dell/IBM (if they still have em) low cost server and purchase the extras seperately or get a year old workstation with dual processor capability and jack it up. Since most of the service/call centers have moved overseas I wouldnt put much hope in getting something fixed if it breaks "under warranty". Definitely would not purchase an HP but I am sure others have had better experiences.
z

Collapse -
Gateways

In reply to: gateways

I have only seen a few gateways and they were all older pentium 3's. I have been very happy with my HP pc since 01, and just bought a new one, i think theyre the best, customer support was great, the one time i used it too. Hope this helps. By the way, the old one still works fine too.

Collapse -
Computers

The big computer makers put out an ok product. Custom built machines can be tricky to compare because of what is put into the machine. If you do not do a lot of gaming a cheap video card will do you as well as a highend one.
Computers are machines that run software. Decide what you need and want to do on the computer then decide where to put your dollars. (Your software will cost more than your computer.)

The one thing I do not like about almost all big computer builders, Gateway, Dell, HP/Compact etc, etc, etc. Is that they come loaded with Salesware. It seems like almost every program is trying to get you to upgrade and buy the "full version". This can create a situation where your machine is locking up due to all the programs trying to connect to their homepages. Have someone help you clean up the machine before you end up with problems.

Happy Computing

A custom rig will not have all this junk to start with.

BUY AntiVirus and learn how to use it. Learn about spyware - AdAware by Lavasoft is good stuff.

Collapse -
new machines

In reply to: Computers

I forgot to mention, that new HP pc only cost 500 bucks with tax at walmart, it has a celeron D processor at 2.93 gigs and ddr ram so its fast. the thing to do, since it has windows xp installed is: disable the windows firewall and the norton anti virus and get Zone Alarm firewall and the AVG anti virus, theyre bothe free and have served me well since 2001. The windows xp has sp2 thats why i would do those things, theres been no problem since x-mas, hope i helped ya,later.

Collapse -
Gateway

I have a brand new Gateway, a one year old HP at work and a Two year old HP here at home along with Dell laptops.

I had huge amounts of problems with all the crap software put on systems by HP. I had to do a reinstall of the operating system to make it run right.

The Gateway came out of the box pretty clean. Only had to deleat a couple of programs.

Don't get me wrong all the computers have served me well.

I don't think the brand makes any difference any longer. All the parts on the inside are the same and the company is only putting them all together. Pick the one that best works for you and always try to buy more than you need so you can get many years of enjoyment out of your investment.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!