Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Desktops forum

General discussion

gateway 820GM

by steinarts / January 1, 2005 12:37 AM PST

Just got this screamer and I have been very happy with it. Anyone else have a good review?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: gateway 820GM
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: gateway 820GM
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Good Computer
by dwd3885 / January 3, 2005 1:26 AM PST
In reply to: gateway 820GM

My brother just got this computer for Christmas. It's AWESOME! I absolutely love the Windows XP Media Center Edition. It's way of showing video and with the picture viewer and everything is so cool. It's hard drive is HUGE. The machine is quiet as heck. When my bros not home, I play on it all the time, not the greatest PCI-EXPRESS vid card, but the fact that it has PCI-Express, shows that you can upgrade easily. This is a great machine

Collapse -
Gateway 815GM
by rthambu / January 4, 2005 12:23 AM PST

I bought this mediacenter desktop 2 days back and everytime I send an email or go to certain sites or even do an "add/remove programs" from control panel, it kicks me out of the system and does an automatic restart.

Any idea why the system crashes on me.... Very frustrating. Anybody else have this issue?

Collapse -
Gateway 820GM
by dsh2u / January 4, 2005 8:12 AM PST

I am currently deciding between this computer and two others. Is it really good and how good is Gateway tech service ?

Collapse -
Great computer
by rschmitt / January 6, 2005 8:49 AM PST
In reply to: Gateway 820GM

I purchased this computer on Sunday January 2, 2005. I got it at Best Buy and paid $999.00 plus tax and added a 19" Sony Xbrite LCD.

The first thing I did was replace the video card with a much better card with DVI and boy did it make a difference. Thats a pretty low end card that is included with the system but it would be ok for most users. Why on earth Gateway would put the ATI 300 card in this system without DVI beats me. Video is the last place to cut cost.

This system has a very nice case, the new BTX is state of the art in cases and runs very cool and quiet. The first thing you will do is throw the included speakers away and hook up a good sound system.

I am very pleased with this system. It's very fast and stable. You can't go wrong, but dicker on the price cause you can get this one for under a grand.

I looked around for a long time and this was the best system I could find for the money .

Collapse -
820gm
by rjmprod / January 14, 2005 4:49 PM PST
In reply to: Gateway 820GM

I just bought the thing and, I tried to get some info on the motherboard. "what an ordeal", found out i was chatting online with a damn computer. Needless to say I got nowhere. This 915g type mb only has one normal pci slot empty. and if you want to add a ATA IDE type harddrive you are out of luck. I am gonna keep it anyway because it's made like a damn tank and quiet.

Collapse -
800 series replaced by 7200
by Burl1201 / January 15, 2005 1:21 PM PST

Hi, I'll be buying the 825GM from BestBuy.ca, and I can't seem to find any reviews on it. It's a ghost system, cleared through BestBuy.ca.

My guess is that the entire 800 series was retired and replaced by the 7200 series. Anything 800 series is limited edition right now, and a bargain. The specs and exterior are eerily identical to the 7200.

Your opinions on this?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!