HolidayBuyer's Guide

Mac Applications forum

General discussion

Garageband Issues

by tleMega / February 27, 2008 9:53 AM PST

I attempted to use Garageband and found that it takes a long, long time to open up, even when there aren't any files in the GB folder. Sometimes you have to force quit to get the icon to stop bouncing in the dock, but if you are patient, it loads after a minute or two... I don't think this is normal. It gives you the "initializing" window during this time, and the Finder reports that it isn't responding as well. But it does load. Any known cause for this? Repairing permissions didn't help anything...

-BMF

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Garageband Issues
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Garageband Issues
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hmm...
by tleMega / February 27, 2008 9:56 AM PST
In reply to: Garageband Issues
Collapse -
Garage Band
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 27, 2008 8:59 PM PST
In reply to: Hmm...

started up in 20 seconds on my iMac.

First time use.

Probably not a but in .2
P

Collapse -
Something to do with the ACL reports?
by tleMega / February 28, 2008 6:05 AM PST
In reply to: Garage Band

I know my Mac has shown my those "ACL found..." lines in Disk Utility, but I doubt that they could conflict with GB. Still, it's a possibility ;). I plan on wiping out one of my externals though, so I could archive and install to see what happens in addition to that, but that might not do any good. Nothing wrong with cleaning out everything though.

At least other people seem to be experiencing this as well, shown by that link I posted I believe.

-BMF

Collapse -
Definitely not 20 seconds for me
by tleMega / February 28, 2008 6:58 AM PST
In reply to: Garage Band

Again, there doesn't seem to be a reason why... When it works, it works, but waiting 30-60 seconds to use GB is a waste of my time, and when I need it, I need it, not a few minutes later...

-BMF

Collapse -
Ahhh, therein lies the difference
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 28, 2008 9:33 AM PST

The young bull said to the old bull,
look at all those lovely cows down there.
Let's run down the hill and have our way with some of them.

Ahh, says the old bull,
Let's WALK down the hill,
and have our way with ALL of them!

Sometimes instant gratification is just too slow!

Happy

P

Collapse -
But that's not the point
by tleMega / February 28, 2008 10:07 AM PST

my point is it refuses to respond during this time. It used to be able to load quickly in the usual 20 seconds, but since the 5.2 update, it now takes longer. I think there are too many old bulls that are walking around for this to be a mere coincidence. It will be fixed sooner or later, I hope.

-BMF

Collapse -
Have you tried
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 29, 2008 3:09 AM PST
Collapse -
Looking at it now
by tleMega / March 1, 2008 7:04 AM PST
In reply to: Have you tried

I have a FireWire iSight camera, but I've never plugged it into this Mac.
Hmm... this is odd. I just got GB to open, and under the Audio/MIDI tab, the audio input and output tabs were set to "System Setting". I have just switched them to built-in output and built-in microphone... and no luck. It still does not respond and takes awhile to load. This is unusual. It works when it finally manages to load, but for some reason, it takes much longer to open than it should and used to.

What kind of things should I look for that could be conflicting with it?

-BMF

Collapse -
There are some discussions on the Apple Support pages
by tleMega / March 1, 2008 7:33 AM PST

about this. One of them is at: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1391586&tstart=0

I'm thinking that there is a file somewhere that interferes with GB's initialization process. Either that, or it searches the whole hard drive for the file that was last opened... I doubt that, but it wouldn't surprise me if that was the case.

-BMF

Collapse -
Tried a guest account, same problem
by tleMega / March 1, 2008 7:55 AM PST

So that implies that there is something bothering Garageband and not the user files, I guess. I was planning on making some podcasts but this hinders my ability to do so...

I haven't been using any audio peripherals with this Mac. Some people who do claim to have found a solution, but they have used some type of speakers or external mics, etc
The only third-party software that I use is the Office 2008 suite... I do have Webkit along with its debug app, Paintbrush, and Firefox, yet they shouldn't have an affect on any of it...

-BMF

Collapse -
How long do you think Apple will take to get a fix out?
by tleMega / March 2, 2008 10:18 AM PST

Garageband is an important app for some of us, and an important app for Apple's lineup. When they release an update, it shouldn't break anything that was already working... Hopefully they can release a fix for it soon as I could really use it.
I also found that I can't load applications off of my external drives anymore... I've done that before, but now I get error codes instead.
I hope they are working on it, but who knows? There are some discussions on Apple's support site regarding this. BTW, I tried plugging in my FireWire iSight and it did make it work slower when GB managed to load, but creating and fixing the problem solved nothing.
It seems that for me, GB takes at least 30 seconds to load when it loads "quickly", and sometimes even longer... Loading a project or not does not affect it... Come on Apple, I have podcasts and tracks to record!

-BMF

Collapse -
Fixed
by tleMega / March 3, 2008 9:22 AM PST

That update today solved the problem. Now it takes what, less than 10 seconds? I think that's a little better :D.

-BMF

Collapse -
mine magic not working
by syverex / March 11, 2008 10:16 PM PDT
In reply to: Fixed

my garageband's magic thingy is not working....

Collapse -
What is your question?
by tleMega / March 13, 2008 6:57 AM PDT
In reply to: mine magic not working

You need to supply us with some more information. First, we need a question. Second, we need to know what version of OS X you are running, which Mac you are using, and the version of GarageBand '08 that you have. Only with more details can we diagnose where the problem with Magic GB is.

-BMF

Collapse -
To BeatleMegaFan
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 12, 2008 9:50 PM PDT
In reply to: Garageband Issues

Take a look at the post by syverex.

The poster is looking for help with Garageband

P

Collapse -
I saw the post and I can help
by tleMega / March 13, 2008 7:00 AM PDT
In reply to: To BeatleMegaFan

but as I mentioned above, more information is required to fix the problem.

-BMF

Collapse -
I see where the confusion could lie
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 13, 2008 8:59 AM PDT

I was referring to the other thread by that poster.

You found it though.

P

Collapse -
Oh, thought you meant the other question above
by tleMega / March 13, 2008 9:32 AM PDT

Was glad to answer the other one nevertheless.

-BMF

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.