HolidayBuyer's Guide

PC Hardware forum

General discussion

gaming problem....?

by ptam91 / June 4, 2006 8:01 AM PDT

for some reason, whenever i play cs, it's all smooth when the game starts (about 60fps), but then a few minutes of playing, the fps lowers to like 20. I have a intel celeron 2.4 ghz socket 478. 1gb ram. geforce 6600 with 128 mb video ram. Should i get an new processor or more RAM, or new graphic card?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: gaming problem....?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: gaming problem....?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
More info...
by WhyFi / June 4, 2006 12:13 PM PDT
In reply to: gaming problem....?

Is this only when the graphics get heavy? Or does this always happen a few minutes after you start playing, no matter what? It could be heat related - try playing with your case open and a little fan blowing towards your 6600 and/or look online for a temperature monitoring program.

Collapse -
hmm
by ptam91 / June 4, 2006 1:29 PM PDT
In reply to: More info...

when i touched the graphic card, it was kind of hot even with the fan on. Even when i put the game settings to the lowest, it'll still have low fps.

Collapse -
cpu temp
by ptam91 / June 4, 2006 1:51 PM PDT
In reply to: hmm

also, i downloaded this cpu monitor app, it showed that my cpu was around 78degrees c. Is that normal?

Collapse -
Thermal Throttling(sp?)
by ikjadoon / June 4, 2006 11:56 PM PDT
In reply to: cpu temp

Ouch! 78C?!? Even on overclocked systems that is dangerous! Very very hot! I would turn the computer off, check the CPU fan, dust it. Hold the fins on the fan and then blow it with one of those air duster thingys. What is probably happening is something called THERMAL THROTTLING. The computer does this by ITSELF. When the computer gets really hot, i.e. 78C, the computer will automatically down clock your CPU, maybe even to 1.4 GHz or less!

So I think this is what is happening. You turn the game on, you are all fine and dandy. After a few minutes, the CPU gets hot, and gets hot fast! The computer doesn't think this is safe so it automatically downclocks the CPU and that is where you are getting FPS such as 20fps. This is actually a good thing, you might've burned the CPU or at least damaged it if the Thermal Throttling wasn't there.

Here, can you see what the temp of the CPU is at IDLE. To get to idle, turn off all programs except for the CPU temp measuring thing, don't touch it for 30 minutes, then write down the temperature. Then wait five more minutes, keep the temp measuring thing on, turn your game on for a few seconds, i.e. start a mission or whatever, just get past the menu, and then immediately minimize the game and write down the temp and if it changes at all. Make sure to write the changes in temperature.

To finally make sure that this is Thermal Throttling, though I'm pretty sure, we are going to check the clock speed. You downloaded an app that showed the CPU temperature, does that utility by any chance show clock speed? If so, get to idle, check the cpu SPEED (not temp this time) and then launch the game, into some mission, minimize as quickly as you can and watch the clock speed.

So clean the fan, make sure the fan is actually PLUGGED INTO THE MOTHERBOARD, and reply back!

~Ibrahim~

Collapse -
by ptam91 / June 6, 2006 9:27 AM PDT

where would i be able to buy thermal paste? not online, but at a store.

Collapse -
Well
by ikjadoon / June 6, 2006 10:17 AM PDT
In reply to: .

Do you have any type of computer shops near you? Not those huge retailers like Wal-Mart, more like Fry's Electronics, Radio Shack might have it, Best Buy might, or any small business computer shop. It is a regular item.

~Ibrahim~

Collapse -
HEY STRANGE !!!!
by eckmannj / June 4, 2006 4:16 PM PDT
In reply to: gaming problem....?

ERM i have a system which is better than your . but when i play counter strike i got more than 100fps .. izzit the more the better or the lesser the better??

Collapse -
oh....kay...
by Tien-Avenger / June 4, 2006 5:50 PM PDT
In reply to: HEY STRANGE !!!!

uh...you have a system which is better...and you get better frame rates...

umm...i'm going to say no that is not normal and upgrade to a 486 as soon as humanly possible...

by the way i'm kidding nothing is wrong with your system. if nothing is broken why fix it

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.