Laptops forum

General discussion

gaming performance

question.......My new Laptop is on its way, hopefully I'll have it tomorrow. I'm wondering, will it be better, especially with games (I do some of that). Here are specs
Desktop:
ATI Radion 9600 256mb DDR
512 mb Ram
30gb 5400 hdd
AMD Athlon 1.2ghz CPU

Laptop
ATI Radion X600 128mb
1 gb ram
2.0 ghz CPU
60gb, 7200rpm

My Desktop has more video memory, but I'm betting the GPU is slower on my 9600 than the x600.
Any ideas? Both systems will run Xp Pro.

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: gaming performance
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: gaming performance
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
RE:

In reply to: gaming performance

You notebook would blow away your desktop. The pentium M 2.0 Ghz is equivalent to like a 3.6GHz Pentium 4 Prescott. You have 1GB DDR2, thought the DDR2 might be slower than your current ram. You hard drive is definitely faster and the X600 isn't much faster than an 9600. So don't expect much better graphics.
Roger

Collapse -
I don't run my desktop graphics very high

In reply to: RE:

with the slow CPU my games lag at higher levels. Do you think the higher CPU speed will let me run at higher graphic levels without the lag?

Collapse -
RE:

In reply to: I don't run my desktop graphics very high

The CPU might help, but the graphics card really is the key, if you get low fps for the game, than you'll notice lag. The graphics card basically determines your fps, so if the gfx is junk then the game will lag. You got the D610, i would've gotten the 9300, it might've been a bigger screen, but the graphics card is better if you get the 6800GO.
ROger

Collapse -
no 810

In reply to: RE:

I got the 810. I didn't want the size of the 9300

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.