Laptops forum

General discussion

gaming on 1394/firewire connection?

by momo_evo / October 23, 2005 7:43 PM PDT

Hi there all

I was just wondering, at the moment my laptop only has a 60Gb hdd. I was thinking of upgrading to 100Gb because I keep on running out of space and having to uninstall some games if I wanted new ones loaded ... But I don't think 100Gb drive would last me that long either.

So I was wondering if this would be advisable and if anyone did this before and how things run:

I want to get a external drive enclosure or external drive that approx 250Gb/400Gb with 1394/firewire connection and install my games on that external drive.

Would that not work? how would games generally run etc ..?

TIA

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: gaming on 1394/firewire connection?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: gaming on 1394/firewire connection?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just a note.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 23, 2005 10:28 PM PDT

The lesson so far is to connect such hard disks as such.

PC, use USE 2.0
Mac, use firewire.

There are those that will try firewire and I wish them the best of luck. Some but not all find it to work.

Bob

Collapse -
firewire
by momo_evo / October 25, 2005 2:46 PM PDT
In reply to: Just a note.

Hi there

But my Sony laptop has a firewire port built-in already.

Would that not count?

Thanx

Cheers

Collapse -
Yes, and so does many desktops and notebooks....
by damasta55r / October 25, 2005 3:38 PM PDT
In reply to: firewire

Its just that usually most pcs will encounter problems when running external hds using firewire and viceversa for macs on usb 2.0. ITs better to stick with what it was designed for that being firewire for macs and usb for pcs when it comes to the external hd.

Roger

Collapse -
firewire
by momo_evo / October 25, 2005 9:14 PM PDT

Ok ... now I understand what you're implying.

ok .... I'll stick with USB 2.0 then

But if I whack a 400Gb WD 7200rpm into a USB2.0 external drive, if I load/install my games on it (can't install anymore games on my internal d: drive/second partition cause it's full).. and play games off the external drive, would my games run properly or would there be MAJOR lag?

Thanx for the response ..

Kappa

Collapse -
LAG as in game play is unlikely.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 25, 2005 10:45 PM PDT
In reply to: firewire

What is likely is the load times will increase since the Firewire 400 and USB 2.0 is slower than a native IDE drive parallel or SATA interface.

The biggest issue with firewire connected drives on PCs has been drive corruption. Yes, you can repartition, format but seems painful to me. I'm about convinced why this is so, but will wait for last piece of a puzzle.

Cheers,

Bob

Collapse -
External USB2.0
by momo_evo / October 26, 2005 2:46 PM PDT

Thanx for the reply.

I'll prolly get an external Vantec HDD enclosure and whack my existing 40Gb on it to test and see first .. otherwise if it doesn't work out, I just use ir for storage purposes.

Thanx again.

Kappa

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.