Question

Gaming Laptop

I am planning on buying a new laptop this summer, and i have managed to narrow down my options to these laptops

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Gaming Laptop
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Gaming Laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Nice choices.

Since heat, battery time and such are not an issue the Apple has the lead on battery LIFE (not runtime.)

Take another look at the Alienware if gaming is the goal.
Bob

- Collapse -
Answer
No to mac, Yes to Alienware.

Macs are not particularly good for gaming in my experience, you have to deal with compatability issues, and overheating issues.

Definitely agree with Alienware, they produce some fantastic gaming laptop rigs!

- Collapse -
Answer
I've got it, re-using answer I gave someone else

HP Pavilion dv6t Quad Edition customizable Notebook 2nd generation Intel(R) Quad Core(TM) i7-2720QM (2.2 GHz, 6MB L3 Cache) w/Turbo Boost up to 3.3 GHz 1GB GDDR5 Radeon HD 6770M Graphics, 6GB DDR3 System Memory 640GB 7200RPM Hard Drive 9-Cell Lithium-Ion Battery (over-sized) - Up to 9.75 hours of battery life 15.6" diagonal Full HD HP Anti-glare LED Display (1920 x 1080 FULL HD) SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support Intel 802.11b/g/n WLAN and Bluetooth(R) with Wireless Display Support Standard Keyboard with numeric keypad, Dimensions 14.88" (W) x 9.71" (D) x 1.23" (min H)/1.39" (max H) Thinness 1.23" Weight 5.78 lbs TOTAL; $1,370.99 ( W/O Taxes)

compare that to the 15MBP Below:

15-inch MacBook Pro Configuration 2.2GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7 ,4GB 1333MHz DDR3 , 500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm SuperDrive 8x (DVDR DL/DVDRW/CD-RW) MacBook Pro 15-inch Hi-Res Antiglare Widescreen Display(1680x1050 Resolution) HeightShocked.95 inch Width:14.35 inches Depth:9.82 inches Weight:5.6 pounds TOTAL:$2,349.00

Price Difference of:$978.01

*Note: with the exception of the oversized battery this is a fairly light and slim laptop, the standard battery lasts up to 5.5 hrs a respectible amount compared to the MBP's 7hrs, HP's laptop keyboard is NOT backlit like the MBP

Since graphics are important to you I took the liberty of gathering some links to reviews of each competitors graphics cards:

HP's Laptop Graphics (6770m their highest end card): http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-6770M.43955.0.html

Apple's Laptop graphics (6750m their highest end card): http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-6750M.43958.0.html

Verdict Apple's graphics card has a slight edge but is IMO still not worth going for.

- Collapse -
Update,Correction

i7 2.3 is available(if you want it) on Hp's website for an aditional $200 bringing the total to $1570.99 if you choose to opt for that route.

- Collapse -
What do you mean you got it?

If you actually have such an unit can you share how warm that unit gets and the stream of hot air that pours out?

Some folk don't know about that issue and freak out.
Bob

- Collapse -
I meant I have a solution

Since I saw from ordering a similar laptop on Hp's website I thought to bring it up.

- Collapse -
Yes I know of the heating issues

I heard it would help to buy a cooling pad for such laptops.

- Collapse -
So you don't own these??

Here we own a few quad core i7 machines and with the added cooling pad you begin to wonder if you should be getting a desktop machine.
Bob

- Collapse -
As I mentioned before...

I only meant to show an alternative, I ordered a similar laptop (same model different specs, has yet to arrive) because it has enough power to play games and does not weigh too much or is too bulky. Basically a jack of all trades computer.

- Collapse -
Good. Soon.

Soon, if this is the usual quad core i7 machine with above average 1GB or more GPU powered laptop you will learn why we must share this issue before they order such a thing.

The complaints from average users and even GAMERS that knew the issues continue.

Let them know what this tech offers both good and slightly bad.
Bob

- Collapse -
LOL its an i5

Here are my laptop specs : i5 i5-2410M 2.3GHz, 1GB GDDR5 Radeon(TM) HD 6770M Graphics, 640gb HDD @ 7,200rpm, 6gb DDR3

Could not afford to get the i7 would have been $200 extra. I plan to use mine for basic tasks and gaming(That's why I got the 6770m)

- Collapse -
I'll probably get a laptop cooler eventually

The most intense game I want to run is Shogun 2, Should be a good test of any heat issues.

- Collapse -
That's a good move.

I find the i5 based units to fair much better in life and run much cooler. And for gaming, not any big loss.
Bob

- Collapse -
Here's a review of the Asus

CNET Forums