Windows 7 forum

Question

Gaming/Gamers

by mediawork / January 17, 2012 9:21 AM PST

I recently asked a gaming-related question on the Software Forum, but inspite of two kind offers of help, without success.

Anyone out there: which Forum do gamers use most frequently?

(I run Win7)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Gaming/Gamers
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Gaming/Gamers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Bit unclear
by mediawork / January 17, 2012 6:14 PM PST
In reply to: Gaming/Gamers

Sorry, but I am a bit unclear about what I am to clarify.

So I will repeat the question I originally asked, which attracted two well-meaning replies from forum members, but which did not supply the answer I needed:

Microsoft has a learge free software download which is supposed to speed up computers for gaming. Does anyone know the name of this software, so that I can download, install and try out?

Now a new question: does Microsoft have a site where I can chat online free to obtain this information?

Do hope thisd clarifies, thanks

Collapse -
Re: download
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 17, 2012 6:41 PM PST
In reply to: Bit unclear

Sorry, I never heard of such a download. Who told you about it or where did you read about it?

Microsoft does have forums, just like we have. But no free chat. And with such a vague question, it would be unlikely their chat persons would know, I think.

Kees

Collapse -
PCMech
by mediawork / January 18, 2012 3:02 AM PST
In reply to: Re: download

My regular email from PCMech gave the download link. Can't remember the size of the download, but it was BIG. Unfortunately, being busy for the December festive season, I multitasked while theis freeware was downloading, and so lost the download. Have tried to find the answer on PCMech, but without success.

Deservedly so, some might say: I am too stingy to join PCMech when so much infomation is available free. If I joined, no doubt PCMech would try to help me.

In resposnse to other kind contributpors to this thread, my HP TouchSmart 300 PC is geared for gaming.

Collapse -
Could be a useful clue there
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 18, 2012 4:07 AM PST
In reply to: PCMech

You get emails from PCMech and one of the emails in December had a link or information about this software.

If this is a monthly Newsletter from PCMech why not visit their site and look for the Newsletters. They may post them online. It's a common thing to do, for example CNET Newsletters are all available online. I can view my own email provided CNET Newsletters online as in the example below;
http://nls.cnet.com/pageservices/viewOnlineNewsletter.sc?list_id=e404&send_date=01/18/2012

So perhaps PCMech does the same? In fact they have an Archive of Newsetters.

If you can't find December 2011's version there, try their forums, http://www.pcmech.com/forum/

Mark

Collapse -
MarkFlax is super useful
by mediawork / January 18, 2012 6:57 AM PST

Thanks indeed, Mark - have started to seardch PCMech archives. No success yet after brief try suspended because the lateness of the Eurohour. My previous searches of the PCMech site had missed the convenient archive feature - because |I must be a dope

Collapse -
No
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 18, 2012 7:15 PM PST

not a dope at all. It was well hidden! Happy

If you can't find Dec 2011's edition there, (they don't make it easy do they), ask around in their forums.

Good luck.

Mark

Collapse -
I remember your previous question
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 17, 2012 6:47 PM PST

and to help others, here's the lilnk to it;
http://forums.cnet.com/7723-6138_102-552502/supersonic-pc/?messageId=5256902&tag=rb_content;contentBody#message5256902

I will say now that Microsoft does not do software other than Windows OS and updates, so there is no 'software' application that they provide that will do what you want.

They may have "Fixes" that attempt to fix Windows problems, but these are specific to whatever the problems are.

You may be thinking of "Optimizer" software from non-Microsoft providers to improve performance, but we rarely recommend any of those, if ever, because of the problems they can cause.

As to computers for gaming, they are hardware based, not software. You need the right hardware for gaming computers, speed of processors, sufficient RAM, fast video cards, in particular the Architecture of the computer, not the OS. A generic and cheap laptop for example will not do well with today's graphic intensive games, but my Alienware Area 51 ALX Desktop will.

So, not the answer you want from me, but you are welcome to hang around and see what others say.

Mark

Collapse -
The only thing I've seem specific for gaming
by Steven Haninger / January 17, 2012 8:47 PM PST

is some BIOS (MB or GPU) updates and video card driver updates. These tend to be hardware focused and not OS. I don't do gaming but I do update hardware. Prior to downloading updates, I check to see if any of the new fixes will be to my advantage. Thus, if it's only to improve gaming performance, I don't bother with them. But such is how I know these things exist.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?