Computer Help forum

General discussion

Gaming Computer - Serious Help

by jalodemi / October 20, 2009 11:39 PM PDT

Hello Everyone,

I want a gaming computer, but i want to make sure that i actually need a gaming computer. The only PC game i play is Sims, i don't play any hardcore games like halo, and my husband has been banned from using any computers that belong to me.

Basically i want a computer that i can play SIMS 3 on smoothly with no problems.

What are your recommendations. I don't want to spend over $1000, but if i have to i will.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Gaming Computer - Serious Help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Gaming Computer - Serious Help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Seems simple enough
by Jimmy Greystone / October 21, 2009 1:30 AM PDT

Seems simple enough. Look at the box for Sims 3, and particularly the system requirements. Now double or triple them, and start looking to see what kind of computers you can find that meet with these inflated specs for the game.

And for my money, I would avoid the following brands like the plague: HP, Compaq, Acer, Gateway, and eMachines. Which leaves you with Apple, Dell, IBM/Lenovo, Sony, and Toshiba (laptops only) for name brands, and then of course you can build your own.

I recommend avoiding those brands because really only two companies make all of them anymore. HP owns Compaq, and Acer now owns Gateway and eMachines. Both of these companies, IMO, are real bottom of the barrel quality wise. People who buy these systems often run into problems that can ultimately be traced back to shoddy quality hardware and/or poorly written drivers. It's just an added bonus to me that these companies also use exploitative asian labor that is basically just shy of slave labor by western standards. That's a big part of how they keep prices so low.

I also recommend avoiding sub-$500 systems regardless of brand. Those are just a nightmare waiting to happen for the reasons outlined above. Shoddy quality hardware, and no corner left uncut, all in an effort to get that rock bottom price. You WILL pay for it, just over time in frustration, not up front in cash. If there's some temporary rebate or sale going on that puts a system below $500, that's different. You'd just be wise to not even consider any that are normally priced at $500 or less. It's not a hard and fast rule, but there is a lot of truth to the statement, "You get what you pay for" when it comes to any kind of electronics.

Collapse -
Mininum Requirements for Game
by jalodemi / November 5, 2009 4:02 AM PST
In reply to: Seems simple enough

Hello, thank you for your quick response. Work has been taking up all of my time and I was not able to respond sooner. Below I've copy pasted what Sims 3 is asking for. Please tell exactly what the Desktop I want should have. I love computers and desire to learn all about them but until then i need some help Happy lol.

Minimum Specifications:
Processor: Vista - 2.4 GHz P4 or equivalent/XP - 2.0 GHz P4 or equivalent
RAM: Vista - 1.5 GB/XP - 1GB
Disc Drive: 8x DVD ROM or faster
Hard Drive: Vista & XP - 8 GB or more
Video Card: 128 MB Video Card with support for Pixel Shader 2.0. Supported video cards include: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5900, FX 5950, 6200, 6500, 6600, 6800, 7200, 7300, 7600, 7800, 7900, 7950, 8400, 8500, 8600, 8800, 9600, 9800, GTX 260, GTX 280 (GeForce FX unsupported under Vista); ATI Radeon 9500, 9600, 9800, X300, X600, X700, X800, X850, X1300, X1600, X1800, X1900, X1950, 2400, 2600, 2900, 3450, 3650, 3850, 3870, 4850, 4870; Intel Extreme Graphics GMA X3x00 series.
Other: Laptop versions of chipsets above may work, but may run comparatively slower.

Collapse -
Any current PC will do.
by Kees Bakker / November 5, 2009 4:26 AM PST

Because any current PC (other than a netbook, maybe) has at least those specifications.

Kees

Collapse -
Specs
by jeff_windows_team / November 5, 2009 5:57 AM PST

You definitely don't need to triple the specs of the game and then purchase a computer that meets those specifications. Most computers made for all-around use can handle Sims 3.

To get an idea of what to look for play around with this tool and see what you come up with. There are plenty people here who can give you feedback on a model you become interested in- http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pc-scout/default.aspx

Collapse -
Thank you
by jalodemi / November 9, 2009 11:15 PM PST
In reply to: Specs

Thanks to all of you. You guys have been so helpful. I love CNET.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!