HolidayBuyer's Guide

Desktops forum

Resolved Question

Gaming Computer Help

by Chazacastle / August 9, 2011 9:20 PM PDT

Hey, i have been looking online to build a computer, and after a while i ended up on this site, with all my chosen specs:

http://www.computerplanet.co.uk/custom-pc-quote.php?id=158524

I was just wondering if somone could tell me, if my CPU and GPU will work well for playing the latest games on high settings (Such as Skyrim when its out, Fallout:NV, Call of Duty, other things like that)

I was also curious to find out if my PSU has enough power to run all my parts well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chazacastle has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Gaming Computer Help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Gaming Computer Help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by Chazacastle

Collapse -
I'd check the requirement of the video card.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 10, 2011 12:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Gaming Computer Help

I thought that card asked for a 550 Watt PSU.
Bob

Collapse -
I really dont know
by Chazacastle / August 10, 2011 12:44 AM PDT

I have looked, and it said it wants a 500 wat PSU. Im getting confused because ofit :S

Collapse -
500 or 550 doesn't matter since 350 is on the list.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 10, 2011 12:58 AM PDT
In reply to: I really dont know

Missing that by that much surely is a sign this will either not work or not last long.

Imagine your car at 120 MPH. Sure the speedometer goes to that but how long will it last?
Bob

Collapse -
So i could do this?
by Chazacastle / August 10, 2011 1:31 AM PDT

So i could run it on a 350, but it wouldnt have as good FPS while gaming? Or i would get FPS drops?

Bottom line - Is it really worth me upgrading the PSU?

Thanks for your help.

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 10, 2011 2:20 AM PDT
In reply to: So i could do this?

I used the car analogy as most folk understand that pressing the limits will result in non-operation to failures of the hardware.

This is not a matter of FPS but damaged parts. I would never go below the suggested power supply wattage.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
ATI Radeon HD 6870
by Brechan / August 13, 2011 12:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Gaming Computer Help

According to AMD's website in regards to this videocard:

" 500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express®
power connectors recommended (600 Watt and four 6-pin connectors for AMD
CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode) "

This is just to power the videocard alone; not including any other components such as the CPU, hard-drive, optical drive, etc.
You also want to ensure that the power supply is from a reputable vendor (e.g. Corsair, Silverstone, Antec, etc.) as PSU's from "Joe-Blow OEM" will not last, and will not provide the clean power that your computer will require.

Since your primary goal for this new computer will be for gaming; I would suggest you look at other cases that will supply more airflow, as the higher up we go (in regards to the videocard of your choice), the more heat that will be produced (look at cases that are specifically built for gaming, as they will have more/ bigger fans, will allow for more fans to be installed, will certainly have larger interiors-allowing for better airflow)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.