General discussion

Gaming computer build advice please

I'm building a gaming dedicated computer for under $1500. I know very little about computers, but I assembled this shopping list based on advice from friends, and I am hoping to get a critique on it before I put in the order on Newegg. Also i haven't picked a computer case yet if you have suggestions (under $200). Thank you much for any advice!

Intel Core i7-860
Radeon HD 6870
MSI P55-GD85 motherboard
Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 2GBx4
Antec TPQ-850 850w
WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"
CORSAIR Cooling Hydro Series CWCH50-1 120mm

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Gaming computer build advice please
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Gaming computer build advice please
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
building a gaming computer

The list looks good so far; remember that you'll have to factor in the price of the O/S as well as the other components, the only thing I might consider changing is your choice for coolers. While the Corsair H50 is a really good (self-contained) water cooler; there are other options within this same field: Corsair's new H70 is supposed to be even better than the original H50, but comes with an upgraded price as well, and there's also CoolIt's Eco or Vantage CPU coolers
http://www.coolitsystems.com/index.php/en/products/cpu-coolers.html

As for PC cases; this is totally a personal choice, but the thing to remember is that because this PC is going to be used for gaming (primarily) then the components are going to get real warm, be sure to get a case that has good airflow (and a window, in case you want to show off your creation). Companies that produce some great cases include Lian Li, Corsair, ThermalTake, NZXT, Antec, Cooler Master, Silverstone, Zalman (to name a few).
Link to Newegg.com (PC cases - Price: $100-$200 - No Power Supply - Best Rating-Mid Tower):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007583%204017%20600029808&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=RATING&PageSize=20

- Collapse -
Gaming computer build advice please

leave plenty of room for upgrades and future add-ons for example it is better to purchase a motherboard that handles 16gb of ram instead of 8gb of ram, also it is better if it has 6 sata ports versus 4 sata ports

CNET Forums

Forum Info