PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Gamecontroller problems

by spurs41 / July 3, 2007 2:48 AM PDT

Hi

I'm having a problem with my Logitech Dual-Action game pad (which i've had since november). I recently bought a new PC with vista installed last week. Yesterday I went to play a game using the gamepad, it was deteced and the software was getting installed by windows. However when I went to the gamecontroller settings (in control panel) it wasn't detected. About a couple of hours later I went to use it and this time it was detected and I could play the game. However today it's not being detected at all by gamecontroller settings. I don't have a clue what's going on so i tried it on my laptop and it wasn't getting deteced at all. So i plugged it back into the PC it was detected by Windows which installed it, but as before it's not detected by gamecontroller settings.

Any ideas as to what the problem is?

Any help would be well appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Gamecontroller problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Gamecontroller problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Consider...
by ozos / July 5, 2007 12:10 AM PDT

I'd consider checking Logitech's website for a Vista driver. If its going in and out of being "seen" by the system, it could be a hardware problem with the controller itself, which would then hopefully still be under warranty coverage.

Collapse -
thanks for the reply
by spurs41 / July 5, 2007 1:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Consider...

I've checked the Logitech website but they don't have a Vista driver. But I don't think the problem is to do with the fact that the operating sytem is Windows Vista because I've tried the gamepad on a laptop which runs on XP and the gamepad had worked on there previously.

I bought the gamepad in Nov 2006 from Amazon, if the controller who could I contact regarding an exchange. Amazon or Logitech?

Collapse -
Right, but...
by ikjadoon / July 5, 2007 2:40 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks for the reply

Just because it will run on XP doesn't mean it will run on Vista without problems. Sometimes, they are plug and play, but I guess this time they it wasn't that easy. Try contacting Logitech to see if they have an updated time line for a Vista driver.

If you want to try the replacement, it would be Amazon.

Try uninstalling it from the Device Manager. Then unplug it. Restart. Plug it in. That should reinstall those built-in drivers. Maybe that'll work.

~Ibrahim~

Collapse -
okay
by spurs41 / July 5, 2007 3:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Right, but...

As a said before, I tried the gamepad on my laptop which runs on XP and it doesn't get detected anymore however before it use to work without any problems but not so anymore.

thanks

Collapse -
Ohhh...
by ikjadoon / July 5, 2007 4:47 AM PDT
In reply to: okay

Right, Amazon is then the right choice.

~Ibrahim~

Collapse -
Maybe not...
by ozos / July 5, 2007 8:24 PM PDT
In reply to: Ohhh...

November is probably beyond the 30 or 90 day return policy of Amazon, however it probably has a 1 to 3 year warranty with Logitech, so you might consider looking into that.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!