Phones forum

General discussion

Galaxy X

by aalake / January 26, 2011 6:23 AM PST

What is the scoop on Android Galaxy X phones? Are they or are they not available in the U.S.? And do they sync Outlook and other things by a 'better' method?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Galaxy X
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Galaxy X
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Galaxy X = Galaxy S (?)
by Pepe7 / January 28, 2011 2:24 AM PST
In reply to: Galaxy X

Now you have me confused as well.

I only found a general mention of the Galaxy' X' being released via T-Mobile, or others saying it's a Korean model. Seems like it's still the same as the T-Mobile Vibrant(?)

Does it have the snapdragon or hummingbird processor(?)

Collapse -
I forgot
by aalake / January 28, 2011 2:10 PM PST

I have been all over the internet until I am punchy. I believe I was looking at Symbian OS and got the idea that Android phones with this were Galaxy X. But I was galloping from one site to another...Anyway - I learned that this OS is simply not allowed into our free market. AT&T won't sell these phones and I guess everybody else follows. I was only interested because supposedly this OS DOES DIRECT OUTLOOK SYNC. Go figure. At the moment I am looking at the HTC Aria cuz Android as of 1/13/10 released new ROM firmware and an update to their HTC Sync that will sync Outlook via USB. Aria is the only HTC left in AT&T's basket. I'm back in the saddle again, trying to find out if this is true - maybe this phone fell thru the crack. I would love any and all info on this subject because I am becoming addicted...

Collapse -
OK - I'm a babe in the woods
by aalake / January 28, 2011 2:27 PM PST
In reply to: I forgot

Just read a review of Aria by some real phone geek and I'm confused. My AT&T contract is up, so where does that leave me - money-wise - and what else is a decent carrier and no matter how great the phone is and how many apps I can 'sideload' - if it don't sync Outlook via USB - I don't want it. Again - want more, more info....please!

Collapse -
you are asking somewhat general questions
by Pepe7 / January 29, 2011 3:47 PM PST

It helps to be more specific.

What exactly do you mean by 'where does that leave me, money wise'(?)

Are you referring to your upgrade cost, or something else? FWIW, when out of contract your monthly bill w/ ATT stays the same.

I'd spend some time @ Howardforums.com to learn more about what phones might work syncing w/ outlook. There's also XDA developer's forum if you like HTC handsets.

Collapse -
Scared to leave At&T
by aalake / January 30, 2011 2:44 AM PST

I tend to rave when I'm disappointed. And I was disappointed by the Windows Phone I returned. 'Moneywise' simply meant I've never run out of a contract without buying another phone immediately because I like new phones and I didn't know if I would get the same offers from companies other than AT&T. My investigations have stopped short of looking at other carriers. I broke down and bought an HTC Aria based soley on the fact that there is a very recent upgrade to syncing Outlook via USB. I bought it for $50 at Wirefly. They were giving them away at Radio Shack but none left. Scary because they may not continue to support the phone which happened with my Blackjack II. But that was OK, the refurb they gave me still works. Thank you very much for the tip on Howardforuoms - new to me. I still think AT&T is a growing monopoly - whether that is a bad thing or not.

Collapse -
actually, it's more like a duopoly (Verizon/ATT)
by Pepe7 / January 31, 2011 6:26 AM PST
In reply to: Scared to leave At&T

Take a look at how many smaller wireless companies each has swallowed up. It's certainly no monopoly, although most people don't like to distinguish between the two, or bother looking into alternatives for their service. The 'bait' of a free phone still is too attractive unfortunately, but we get screwed in the end ;(.

Collapse -
Surprised...
by aalake / February 1, 2011 2:55 AM PST

I 've never even considered Verizon. Didn't think it had anywhere near the coverage of AT&T.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!