HolidayBuyer's Guide

Tablets forum

General discussion

Galaxy Tab A With S Pen (2016, 10.1") - experiences?

by amirj11 / July 15, 2017 9:25 AM PDT

Hey,
I'm in final stages before buying the Galaxy Tab A (S Pen version, 2016 model, 10.1") for taking notes in classes (going paperless!), will probably replace the standard S Pen with a WACOM Bamboo smart stylus.
anyone experienced with this specific tablet for writing? I have no interest in games or drawing.
Pros - great battery life, pen is accurate, good palm rejection for writing, in my budget.
My major concern is the pen latency. How is it? does it work smoothly?

Thanks!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Galaxy Tab A With S Pen (2016, 10.1") - experiences?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Galaxy Tab A With S Pen (2016, 10.1") - experiences?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I have to ask this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 15, 2017 9:34 AM PDT
Collapse -
PS. You're back!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 15, 2017 9:35 AM PDT
In reply to: I have to ask this.
Collapse -
Thanks!
by amirj11 / July 15, 2017 9:58 AM PDT
In reply to: PS. You're back!

Awesome!
Thanks. What about my other question? Happy

Collapse -
What about my question?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 15, 2017 10:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks!

So far I'm only seeing folk use the old iPad or run of the mill Android. HOWEVER I am running into folk that think you need pixel accuracy. They tend to run off and over invest which is good for the industry.

I have a question too for you. Sorry but I don't have access to the configuration you noted. Mostly because folk here just go with what works for cheap.

Collapse -
by amirj11 / July 15, 2017 12:02 PM PDT

Thanks for the reply. I don't want to use the iPad because of its iOS that I hate. Plus, accuracy is a big deal when taking notes during class (keeping up with the professor while trying to figure out how should I write so It would come out ok on the screen is too much!). the tablet I mentiones - the Tab A with S Pen 10.1" is only $300 at amazon and best buy, it's still pretty much in the cheap. I just want to know how it works (using WACOM I'm sure its accurate, but what about speed of writing?).
This is the model:
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-SM-P580NZKAXAR-10-1-Inch-Tablet/dp/B01LFV5SI6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1500145360&sr=8-1&keywords=Galaxy+TAB+A+With+S+Pen

Collapse -
The only way to address your needs is to go try them.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 15, 2017 12:13 PM PDT
In reply to: Reply

The feeling I get is you haven't used these for note taking so you are "speccing" (specifying) your way to a solution. This always ends up with a higher end product, more cost, higher expectations and so on.

That pixel accuracy has me worried again as folk have been taking notes on tablets for years now. How were they able to do that without your pretty high end solution?

No need to answer. My thought and advice is to go to the stores and get demos on what you want as well as standard things (cheaper things.)

Collapse -
I would have done it
by amirj11 / July 15, 2017 12:41 PM PDT

But this variant isn't available in my country at all (samsung doesn't market the A with S Pen here) - there's absolutely no way to test it, it's not in any store, and I'm not planning on a trip to another country anytime soon. That's why I'm relying heavily on specifications to decide.
you're still talking about "high-end solutions", I'm talking about a $300 tablet.
used (2nd hand) iPad isn't an option either, so I'm not seeing any other options for this $300-350 price range. are you?

Collapse -
Sorry I meant to test the none S Pen solutions.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 16, 2017 8:49 AM PDT
In reply to: I would have done it

Are you telling me you can't test anything at all? I've been in many countries and yes, the shops are all over the map on letting you try things but as a student most students love to show you how their note taker works.

Collapse -
It's less than $50
by amirj11 / July 17, 2017 10:57 AM PDT

Hey Wink
The Tab A Without the S Pen is only available in not so many stores and isn't on display - it's a relatively niche product without a lot of success here. there is no way to test it, let alone with a pen.
Plus, the difference between the non S pen version and the S Pen version is less than $50, which fits in my budget, so why not try it with the pen.
Friends here use the iPad Pro which is way out of my budget.

Collapse -
Sounds like the S Pen version is the thing to try.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 17, 2017 11:33 AM PDT
In reply to: It's less than $50

Hopefully with all the back and forth you see that the palm rejection area is an app thing.

Collapse -
Thanks!
by amirj11 / July 18, 2017 4:40 AM PDT

The palm rejection is important but isn't the most important. I've ordered the S Pen version and will report the results Wink

Collapse -
Has it arrived yet? I am curious
by kiwwie / October 16, 2017 12:10 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks!

I am curious to find out how well it works. I myself am wondering if i should buy one but i don't know how good it is at taking notes. How would you say your experience with it has been? - assuming it has arrived and you've had time to test it Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.