Laptops forum

General discussion

gaa!!! i need help choosing a new laptop

by B123456H / September 1, 2008 5:10 AM PDT

Arrgh! my brain is about to explode because of all the options associated with choosing a quality laptop.
My old one is a compaq v2000z and its getting old. It's still fast but it is now a desktop only computer the display and touchpad mouse quit working a few days ago(I need mobility in my life or bad things happen)

I need help choosing a quality laptop

limit $700-$750
I'd like to get a Sony Vaio N350E/W But i can't find any info on a good review of this computer. I cannot stand slow computers so i need some factors narrowed down for me.

Here's what i do with the computer-
web/internet
Word/Microsoft office 2007
virtual machines
video editing and capture
light gaming- battlefield 1942
CAD- Autocad 2009

And this is in the order of use-
internet - every day
office 2007- every day
virtual machines- weekends
video editing- about every other week

Specs i'd like-
1-2 gb of ram
~2ghz dual core processor- AMD or intel?
Which processor is better for what i do?- Pentium dual core or Turion 64 X2?
I'll be using xp and Ubuntu Linux as the main operating system. Vista will be removed after it arrives.

I can't decide between an HP dv5z, a discount sony vaio, or something from the Acer line.
I don't even know where to start if i think about a Toshiba or gateway.

All inputs will appreciated and will save me lots of stress and confusion.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: gaa!!! i need help choosing a new laptop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: gaa!!! i need help choosing a new laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Looking over your posts I see you mention
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 1, 2008 5:16 AM PDT

1. An aversion to Vista
2. Linux.

While you will find some dis all the usual makes the 599 buck dv6910us I picked up last week seems nice enough. Can you supply links and a bit more about budget.
Bob

Collapse -
it's simple
by B123456H / September 1, 2008 5:38 AM PDT

All i want is some info about a very fast and quality laptop computer.

My budget is limiting only on the subtotal, not shipping.
I have narrowed the choices to the HP dv5z, A Sony Vaio N350E/W (or a similar model) and possibly something from the Acer line. I know nothing about the acer laptops any info about a midrange computer within my specs would be great.

You're right, i don't like vista. But don't care if the computer comes pre-installed with it. This opens up alot more options with computers now. I have a new retail version of xp waiting to be installed on whatever laptop i get. And since Linux is free, that is always a plus.

Your next sentence doesn't make much sense. Please clarify

Collapse -
This sentence?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 1, 2008 6:40 AM PDT
In reply to: it's simple

"Can you supply links and a bit more about budget."

That's a question. Hopefully clear enough. We do have a member that will "dis" all the usual makers. Be sure whatever you choose has XP drivers FIRST. I can't count how many try to find them after the purchase or complain about XP support.
Bob

Collapse -
hopefully
by B123456H / September 1, 2008 6:51 AM PDT
In reply to: This sentence?

hp is pretty good about backwards compatible drivers (as previously experienced)

If i get the hp dv5z with vista 64-bit
(will that affect my 32-bit life/programs any?)

I'd love to learn about that sony vaio N- series laptop line. Any links?

i'm also contemplating the dell vostro 1510

never mind about the clarification

Collapse -
Sony was "very bad" about drivers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 1, 2008 6:58 AM PDT
In reply to: hopefully
Collapse -
ok then
by B123456H / September 1, 2008 7:43 AM PDT

i'll stay with 32-bit and wait till 64-bit becomes mainstream

i will most definitely take Sony's drivers into consideration with my choice. Thanks for enlightening me.

Collapse -
Laptops
by Phil Crase / September 2, 2008 9:25 PM PDT
In reply to: ok then

Take a look at the LENOVO and TOSHIBA laptops, don't rule them out, I would stay with the CORE 2 DUO processor T5700 series or higher, 3gb of ram, think you would be a happy camper. Good luck!!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?