Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Ga. lawyer files suit against Bush and his wiretapping pro..

by lylesg / January 24, 2006 9:52 AM PST

Although I agree with Bush?s spoken intent of the wire-tappings being directed only at known terrorist suspects within the US, Mark Guzzi challenges the possibilities of something going haywire and his suit was filed just a few hours after the ACLU filed a similar suit against Bush.

ALPHARETTA, Ga. (AP)- An Alpharetta lawyer has filed a federal lawsuit against President Bush, challenging the constitutionality of the administration's secret wiretapping program, which he says sidesteps other branches of government.

Mark Guzzi said Bush has abused his presidential powers in allowing telephone and Internet surveillance, and that the practice violates his First Amendment protection of free speech and Fourth Amendment right to privacy.

''I think I have an argument...that's reasonable,'' Guzzi told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. ''It's going to be up to the judge to decide that.

The National Security Agency and the DSA's director are also named as defendants. Guzzi said Friday he is worried that communications with friends he made before the 2001 terrorist attacks who live overseas could be monitored. When talking to those friends, including a Jewish woman in Israel and a woman in Canada of Iranian descent, Guzzi said he has discussed the mindset of terrorists, suicide bombings, America's approach to the war on terror, the war on Iraq and other subjects.

Guzzi's friends are both of Middle Eastern descent. Because the program is secret, he says he has no way of knowing whether he was actually monitored.

He said the wiretapping program is ''fundamentally altering democratic principles of our government.'' Guzzi wants the program immediately stopped. He is also asking that his costs and court fees are paid.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ga. lawyer files suit against Bush and his wiretapping pro..
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ga. lawyer files suit against Bush and his wiretapping pro..
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Look at all the moey he gets to spend...
by Edward ODaniel / January 24, 2006 12:50 PM PST

just to discover that he is wrong and that Bush has done nothing illegal and that the Supreme Court has already affirmed warrantless searches legitimate acts of Presidential Constitutional Authority.

Apparently more money than sense.

ACLU doesn't care because win or lose they are able to make the taxpayer foot the bill--hope that gets changed soon.

Collapse -
According to an attorney
by TONI H / January 24, 2006 5:17 PM PST

familiar with this type of wiretapping as he was interviewed on CNN either yesterday or the day before, since the taps were all classified information, the only way to bring a court case would be if a specific person knew positively that they were being monitored and that person sued over it. Nobody would be able to get the documents because they aren't for viewing by 'joe public' so this attorney doesn't see anything ever going to a court room for that reason alone. Investigations can be done, which are what's happening now, but actual court appearances won't because it would have to be initiated by a real person who was harmed....and proving that harm will be difficult if not impossible due to the fact that you can't go on a discovery 'fishing expedition' using classified documents to do it.

Collapse -
You could always file the suite (sp?) in Italy.
by Kiddpeat / January 25, 2006 1:48 AM PST

Those Italian judges apparently think they are God. Speak, and it will happen.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?