Mac Desktops forum

General discussion

G5 Power PC Question

by idscop5b / September 23, 2008 8:43 AM PDT

I recently acquired a used G5. When I look at "about this mac", it tells me that I have a two processor, 2ghz machine but when I open the case I only see one G5 icon. The serial number is from late 2005. I just wanted to make sure that I have two processors as I'm planning on selling/trading up to a mac pro.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: G5 Power PC Question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: G5 Power PC Question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If system profiler says two,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / September 23, 2008 11:51 AM PDT
In reply to: G5 Power PC Question

then you probably have two.

To make sure, go to apple.com>support>specifications and enter the serial number of your machine.
That should tell you what it is

P

Collapse -
If it says 2 x 2Ghz
by tleMega / September 23, 2008 1:52 PM PDT

you may have a dual-core G5. I believe Apple manufactured some of the later G5 towers with a single, dual-core CPU instead of incorporating two processors together like they did beforehand. According to this page here the later 2005 G5s were in fact dual-core based systems. If there is only one G5 heatsink inside, as you said, then I bet this is the case.

But if System Profiler reports 2 processors and not 2 cores, then something may not be acting right. There were dual-processor G5s running at 2Ghz as well. You can go through this list of Power Macs here or you can try Apple's Support pages here. I bet it is a dual-core and System Profiler is just "misleading" you, haha. Hope this helps.

-BMF

Collapse -
Thanks for your help! n/t
by idscop5b / September 28, 2008 12:02 PM PDT

(I believe it's a duo-core)

Collapse -
I took a look at the Apple site
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / September 28, 2008 9:57 PM PDT

and do not see anything that would indicate that Apple released a G5 with two cores.

Did you go to the support/specifications page of the Apple Web Site and enter your serial number, as suggested earlier?

I could be wrong, but I thought that the Intel processors were the first ones with 2 cores, Core Duo/Core 2 , that Apple released.

P

Collapse -
Dual-core G5s
by tleMega / September 29, 2008 2:28 PM PDT

the Core Duo processor family does belong to Intel, but there were dual-core CPUs before them. Apple was able to use some dual-core G5s in the Power Mac line right before the Intel transition, as this Apple tech spec sheet says. I think that Apple started the G5 line with one single core CPU, then over to dual single cores, and from there on out, to just one dual-core CPU. The most powerful Power Mac ever sold by Apple actually used two of the dual-core G5s running at 2.5Ghz, which should be on the same spec sheet above. Powerful computers at the time. Also, I think that AMD was actually the first to develop an actual dual-core chip, and eventually they licensed out some of that technology to Intel. Since then, Intel has been making quite a bit of progress while AMD is supposedly struggling to keep up. Intel had a real winner on their hands once the Core Duos took off. It was big enough to convince Apple to abandon their legacy PowerPC chips, so I guess that's something.

Too bad that Snow Leopard will drop support for even the most powerful G5s. Some of them may still have a lot of use left in them. But, even the slowest Intel Macs can outperform the G5s in some areas, so it depends on how you look at it. Leopard is still going to be supported, and Snow Leopard is more about upgrading OS X to work better on Intel chips, which doesn't do a thing for PowerPC users. I just wonder how good this upgrade will be and if Apple will try to charge the same upgrade fee of $129 as they have done with the more recent system updates. Leopard has only been available for just about a year now...

-BMF

Collapse -
Ahh, that explains it,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / September 29, 2008 10:38 PM PDT
In reply to: Dual-core G5s

I only checked out the iMac G5 line, there never was a dual core in there, and bypassed the G5 tower.

My bad.

Thanks

P

Collapse -
B5 Power PC Question
by NeilFiertel / October 10, 2008 3:58 PM PDT

It is positively as stated..It is a two processor machine. The G5 icon is also found on the four processor machine as G5. "About this Mac" never is in error. If you go to the radio button below for futher information you can print out all of its internals including the CPU, drives, graphics cards and peripherals. Don't try to trade it. Sell it as you will be financially ahead of the game. There were only duals and quads at that date manufactured. You will love the improvements of speed and quietness of the newer Intel machines. The Mac Pro eight core 2.8 machine is nearly silent and fast. I recommend lots of RAM for it also.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?