Mac Desktops forum

General discussion

G5 does not see my new HDD

by inbryomusic / June 22, 2013 10:30 PM PDT

Hello everyone

I have a early 2005 Power Mac G5, my current Maxtor HD crashed so i decide to replace it with a 320GB Western Digital Blue and it does not show up on the boot menu.

I've tried to change the settings on the new HDD with jumper on all the combinations and in both bays and still does not show on boot menu.
the weird thing is my old HDD does show on boot with the circular arrow and the right pointing arrow

the issue with old HDD is "Runtime corruption" ive read that if you reinstall a fresh copy of the OS X it wipes everything out and will restore or solve the issue, i've tried that but i put my copy of OS X and few seconds later the optical drive spit it out like it does not read it..

Any ideas???? anyone??

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: G5 does not see my new HDD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: G5 does not see my new HDD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: new hard disk
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 22, 2013 10:33 PM PDT

Just asking:
- Is this new hard drive already partitioned?
- What file system does/do the partition(s) have?

Collapse -
To Kees
by inbryomusic / June 22, 2013 10:50 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: new hard disk

Hello Kees and thankx for the fast reply

No i only had one HDD on the Tower, and it crash, so now im replacing it with a new WD so i can put OS X and be able to use tower again, fresh new HDD ans fresh OS X Install

Now the new HDD is not partitioned, its brand new out of box....

Collapse -
Re: disk
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 22, 2013 11:33 PM PDT
In reply to: To Kees

If there is no partition on it, Finder won't see it indeed. And since most disks are meant for Windows, it's possible they already put an NTFS partition on it. That won't show in Finder either.

I don't know nothing of Macs, alas, but in Windows we use Disc Management in such a case to view and manager partitions on the disk and format them. I think the equivalent program in Mac OS X is Disk Utility, but that's just a guess. might be useful also.

Collapse -
As stated, that disk has to be initialized (formatted)
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / June 23, 2013 12:03 AM PDT
In reply to: To Kees

before the system can "see" it.

The only way to do this, given that this G5 only has the one drive installed, is to use Disk Utility from the OS X installation disk.
There are a number of third party options but all of those require money and a working Optical Drive.

Put the jumpers back on the new drive to configure it as Cable Select (CS)
Put the OS X installation disk into the machine and shut it down.
Start up holding down the "C" key. Keep it down until you see the spinning gear.
With any luck, the system will boot from the DVD.
Second option is to repeat that process but this time hold down the Option key. You should get a choice of disks to boot from. Choose the DVD and go from there.

Once booted, step S L O W L Y through the installer until the Menu Bar appears at the top of the screen.
Choose the Disk Utility from the Utilities menu. If you do not see the Utilities menu, look in every menu option for the Disk Utility.
Initialize the drive as Mac OS X (Extended).
When done, exit out of Disk Utility, Quit the installer and reboot while holding down the Option or C key. (Whichever one worked for you last time)
Install OS X, and then run your Time Machine backup to bring everything back as it was before the crash

Collapse -
You might also take a look at this thread
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / June 23, 2013 12:12 AM PDT
Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?