Mac OS forum

General discussion

G4 OS 9.2 start up problems

by martini1 / January 26, 2004 11:08 PM PST

Hello all.

I'm somewhat new with MAC and I've got a problem with my G4 freezing up upon start up. I'm running system 9.2 although I also have OSX on the computer as well. I'm using 9.2 as my start up disc.

I recently added an internet software which seems to have created a problem and now it freezes up upon start up. How can I get to the desktop without freezing up so I can atleast change the start up disc? This will enable me to use the other applications till I can rid myself of the current internet software I recently installed and find an alternative.

Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: G4 OS 9.2 start up problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: G4 OS 9.2 start up problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:G4 OS 9.2 start up problems
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 27, 2004 12:27 AM PST

I don't fix many Macs, so I can remember is to insert an OS 9 cd in order to boot up and change the Startup control panel prefrences..

Collapse -
by pepsaholic / February 11, 2004 1:36 AM PST

Without knowing what you've tried, try these: (though first, remove any unnecessary USB or FireWire devices... that means only have your keyboard and mouse connected.)

OptionA) Reboot/reset/turn-on and hold down the shift key. If the machine is trying to boot into OS-9, then this will disable the extensions. Keep the shift key depressed until the screen says something to the order of "Starting up, Extensions Off". Wait for the OS to finish booting and go to the control panel to change startup.

OptionB) Reboot/reset/turn-on the computer. Immediately after the startup "chime", hold down the [Command]+[Option]+[P]+[R] keys, and KEEP THEM HELD DOWN until the chime tolls 3 more times. (Depending on the amount of RAM and other options, this could take a while, but shouldn't be more than a minute or so.) You have now reset your "P-RAM" and depending on the specific model, the computer may prefer OS-X as it's Parameter default.

OptionC) More dangerous: Turn off the computer and remove the power cord(s) from the back. Open up the side panel and look at the mother board. You're looking for a small (1/4in / 5mm) silver, square component with a circular button on it.
READ CAREFULLY!
Push this button and RELEASE IMMEDIATELY! DO NOT hold the button down! (Holding the button down for more than half of a second WILL fry your motherboard.)
You have now Reset the motherboard to factory defaults, again, hopefully it will prefer OS-X to OS-9.

OptionD) Safest, but requires a purchase. Pick up Norton SystemWorks for Mac. The CD is bootable, and will let you do disk maintainance (data errors, optimization, etc.) AND has the same "Startup-disk" controls built in.
END

Once you have booted into OS-X, go to the "Classic" control panel, and in the Advanced tab, click "Rebuild Desktop". This is the same as holding the [Command]+[Option] keys at OS-9 startup. (If you haven't been rebuilding your desktop, this could account for at least part of the problem you're experiencing.

I would suggest migrating to OS-X anyway, and run any OS-9 applications in classic mode. (Yes, I too had my doubts, but I have seen the light.)

Collapse -
by glpoppy / April 19, 2004 3:14 AM PDT

When you start up, hpld down the "shift key'

Collapse -
Re:Re:G4 OS 9.2 start up problems
by kcourt / June 7, 2004 9:52 AM PDT

If you have a start-up disc, insert into the CD tray, as you turn on the machine, hold down the letter c until it is finished booting. The OS on the CD should come up as the start-up system.

Collapse -
Re: G4 OS 9.2 start up problems
by berniebutler / June 18, 2004 5:49 PM PDT

The easiest way to get around this problem is as follows:

From shutdown press and continue to hold the option key -
then press power on key (keep option key pressed)

Your screen will then present you with option to start up using OS9, OSX, System CD (providing it is in the cd drive) and the option to startup using a system on any connected hard drive (preffereably one that has disk repair tools on)

You can also startup in OS9 holding down the shift key - this switches off all extensions - but you need to know what you are looking for and where if you are to solve your crashing on start-up.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

BEST LIST

Find the best hybrids on the market!

Hybrid technology can be applied to any type of car, and the best show the most significant fuel economy improvements over a similar gasoline-only car.