Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

G4 Help needed. Please!

by thejamessea / June 22, 2008 8:16 AM PDT

Hi all.

I recently picked up an older G4 and I was hoping to get it going for use as either a secondary computer, or a media server.

Either way, it's giving me huge hassles. I really hope someone can help me.

The symptoms are as follows:
I hooked up a monitor via DVI connection and turned on the computer. The light behind the power button comes on on the tower, but on screen the monitor says "Digital Connection in power save mode. Press any key or move the mouse to wake" or something to that effect.

Now, pressing buttons on the keyboard or mouse elicits no response, which leads me to believe that the computer isn't booting up. Naturally I can't boot in safe mode or anything like that, as the signals from the keyboard and mouse aren't making it to the computer.

Anyone have any thoughts? I'm pretty much a casual computer user, so please try to help me out here. I'm a quick learner! : )

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: G4 Help needed. Please!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: G4 Help needed. Please!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
DVI or ADC?
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / June 22, 2008 9:21 AM PDT

The older G4 machines did not have DVI connections but some graphics cards did.

I guess that as you have actually managed to connect the monitor, then the connection is done.
Is this an Apple monitor and some other brand?
Some other brand would indicate DVI, Apple would indicate ADC.

Is there a VGA connection on this machine? If there is, do you have a regular monitor you could connect to it?

P

Collapse -
What model desktop?
by pjschmitt1 / June 23, 2008 10:24 AM PDT
In reply to: DVI or ADC?

I would ensure that the machine had a valid Hard Drive. You could try and start the machine up from another mac in target disc mode to see if that drive has any other affect upon it. Maybe use a system disc to start up.

Trying to use a standard vga monitor to connect to the standard vga connections of the tower might be worthwhile. Not knowing what model you are seeking help for, makes a good useful answer a little challenging but it sounds like you should try apple KB and Mouse in a built in USB port to try and wake the hard drive.

Then I would start to check all the connections and hit the reset or CUDA button on the board if yours has one. The video cards can become a little loose sometimes and ensuring a proper seating of the PCI slot can change everything.

Then of course there is always the reboot or restart and the PMU treset and the PRAM zap. start up holding down the apple, option, P and R keys. Hold them down and keep them depressed after pushing the start up button for a total of three bongs. The second bong may sound a little softer than the first. I do 3 just because I want to make sure the first one counts.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?