MacBooks forum

General discussion

G3 pismo won't start up

Hi, my G3 laptop has been in storage for over six months and won't start up. The power lead and clock battery are new. This happened before and Dianne the moderator at the time gave me a simple keystroke sequence to bring it back to life. Anyone out there know what that was?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: G3 pismo won't start up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: G3 pismo won't start up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You may have ZAPPed the PRAM

In reply to: G3 pismo won't start up

Apple + Option + P + R at the first chime. Hold until the second or third chime.

OR

Apple + Option + O + F and then, when you see the "to continue booting" message, type reset-nvram, press return and at the next prompt type reset-all, press return.

Let us know which, if any, worked

P

Collapse -
dead mac?

In reply to: You may have ZAPPed the PRAM

thanks for getting back. I tried your two suggestions but nothing happens. No sign of life whatsoever, totally black screen and not even a chime.

Collapse -
Try this

In reply to: dead mac?

Simultaneously press Shift-Fn (function)-Ctrl (control)-Power.
Wait 5 seconds.
Press the Power button to restart the PowerBook computer.

OR

If your machine has a reset button the back of it.
Restart the computer by holding down the reset button to the left of the Serial port for 10 to 20 seconds.
If the computer does not restart, repeat step 2 three or four times.

P

Collapse -
still dead

In reply to: Try this

hi,no luck. Is the internal battery rechargeable? If so, should I leave it plugged in for a while, then try again? Or any other suggestions. Anyone? This must have happened loads of times to people. Who else out there has gone through this?
Phil

Collapse -
it rises

In reply to: still dead

with some time on charge and the keystrokes you suggested, we now have life restored. Sadly not for much longer as the screen has gone yellow, unless there is some miracle cure for ageing lcd screens?
Phil

Collapse -
Not that I know of, but

In reply to: it rises

that may not be a screen problem.

it could be a Graphics controller problem.

P

Collapse -
Yellow and red shifts

In reply to: it rises

Are pretty well known signs of old CCFL tubes. I have a picture of the red shift at http://s175.photobucket.com/albums/w146/rproffitt2000/?action=view&current=new2old.jpg

The picture was not made for clarity or focus. Just to show that CCFL tubes do shift color over time. If you continue to use the CCFL it may change color over time. If it is the CCFL tubes those are replaceable but can be costly if you don't DIY. BEWARE THERE ARE LETHAL VOLTAGES DRIVING THE CCFL.
Bob

Collapse -
beyond me

In reply to: Yellow and red shifts

I?m afraid you?ve both gone beyond my technical ability. I replaced the memory and HD last year, is this any harder? What is it I should be looking for to replace?
Phil

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.