Question

G:\ is not accessible on accessing MP3 player

Hey there,

I have had this Archos MP3 player for some time now, and first time this has done this.

Here is what is going on. I plug in the MP3 player, does not matter which port, and when I go to "My Computer" to click on the drive to get the music files it comes up with error message "G:\ is not accessible. Access denied."

I have tried going to properties and configuring security options, but there is nothing with "security" or related to that. I am already logged in as Admin, there is also no "run as admin" either.

Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: G:\ is not accessible on accessing MP3 player
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: G:\ is not accessible on accessing MP3 player
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
G:\ is not accessible

Hi,

Try the Microsoft fix-it to check the USB device: Microsoft Fix-it . Click 'Run Now' and follow the onscreen instructions.

If this does not help, click Start button >> type 'regedit' without the quotes in the search box.>> navigate to the location shown in the image.
Expand the list by clicking the arrow on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>>SYSTEM>>CurrentControlSet>>Control>>Class and find the key: {36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000} wherein the Data name is 'Universal Serial Bus Controllers'. Check if there is any entry for 'UpperFilters' or 'LowerFilters'. If so, click 'File', click 'Export' and save a copy of the registry file on the desktop. Once done, right-click 'UpperFilters' or 'LowerFilters' and delete it. Refer to the images: Upperfilters, Export File, Delete key
Once done, reboot PC.

Hope this helps.
Do write back with the results.

Thanks and Regards,
Manpreet C

- Collapse -
G:\ is not accessible.

I have tried what you suggested step for step, I am assuming that I leave that export file on the desktop? Still get the same error message. Also I have just noticed this, you know how whenever you plug in something (i.e. MP3 player, etc.) via USB and that window pops up (generally supposed to) asking what you want to do, like view files, or speed up boost times, well that window does not come up. Nothing happens when I plug in my MP3 player.

- Collapse -
G:\ is not accessible

Thank you for the response.

The export file should be saved on the hard drive; the folder location does not matter, i.e. desktop or my documents.
For Auto-play option to appear when you connect a device, refer to this Microsoft article.
Type the command in cmd as shown in the image.

Alternately, click 'Start' (Image 1) >> click 'Control Panel' (Image 2) >> click 'Hardware and Sound' (Image 3) >> click 'AutoPlay' (Image 4) >> ensure that the box labeled 'Use AutoPlay for all media and devices' is checked (image 5) >> click 'Save' (Image 6): Image 1, Image 2, Image 3, Image 4, Image 5, Image 6

What happens when you connect any other USB device? If the issue occurs with other USB devices as well, try these steps:
1. Click Start, type 'devmgmt.msc' without the quotes in the search box.
2. Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.
3. Right-click the first USB Root Hub under Universal Serial Bus controllers, and then click Uninstall to remove it.
4. Repeat step 3 for each USB Root Hub that is listed under Universal Serial Bus controllers.
5. Restart the computer. After the computer starts, Windows will automatically scan for hardware changes
and re-install all the USB controllers that you uninstalled.
6. Check the USB device to see whether it is working.

Please also share the model number of the Archos player.

Hope this helps.
Do write back with the results.

Thanks and Regards,
Manpreet C

CNET Forums