The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

G.E. re-invents the incandescent bulb?

by punterjoe / February 27, 2007 12:02 PM PST

How long has this technology been sitting on a shelf while Edison's 'classic' incandescents continued to sell well? Suddenly, California makes threatening noises & Australia actually bans the bulb & voila - GE pulls new, efficient incandescent technology out of it's... lab.
Curious timing aside, I hope it's everything they claim it to be. CFLs are fine, but disposal's a problem, and for people with traditional dimmers, Compact Flourescents aren't an option. If GE's wonderbulb yields CFL efficiencies without the downside, I'm in. Of course by the time this actually hits the shelves, we may all have OLED wallpaper & the lightbulb may be as quaint as the gaslamp Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: G.E. re-invents the incandescent bulb?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: G.E. re-invents the incandescent bulb?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
About that mercury disposal problem.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2007 12:27 PM PST

A short study compared the mercury in the CFL with the amount of mercury that electricity produced by coal burned to power the incandescent would have put into the air or emitted.

You can guess the results. Hint: CFL won by a longshot.

Collapse -
can be disposed of safely
by thriftyT / February 27, 2007 2:22 PM PST

With a little research, the bulbs can be properly disposed of. For example I know that IKEA accepts old CFL lightbulbs for disposal.

But practically speaking, if you buy a CFL today, you simply won't even have to think about disposal for a long time. I have CFL lightbulbs from 1999 still lighting my house! They've been with me longer than my wife! =)

Collapse -
Saving energy by burning fuel?
by MedicineHead / February 28, 2007 9:34 PM PST

While I understand and appreciate the energy saved (and therefore, the money) by switching to CFLs, I have to find it ironic that in all these energy saving methods, more energy is burned in disposing the items than traditional methods. We're just shifting the energy usage to another, potentially less efficient outlet. Recycling, rechargeable batteries, and now CFLs all have problems in this area, and building an infrastructure to meet demand may not resolve the issue.

Besides that, CFLs are horrible. I know, I know, they're the greatest lighting choice since sliced bread. They use less electricity! Yay! Too bad one has to use multiple CFLs to get the same light output of one incandescent! I tell ya, those things are pretty meager in the lighting department. There are several in my house, and they don't light a room nearly as well half an assortment of incandescent could.

Collapse -
well actually...
by thriftyT / March 1, 2007 10:50 AM PST

You never gain something for nothing. It would defy the laws of err...gravity or relativity or something like that.
That having been said, the amount of energy savings (and corresponding decrease in greenhouse gas, mercury, etc. emissions) from the CFLs FAR outweigh the marginal additional energy that will be used for their disposal.

"Too bad one has to use multiple CFLs to get the same light output of one incandescent!"

Depending on the wattage and lumens ratings of your lightbulbs, you may have a point. But even if you use 2 CFL's in place of one conventional lightbulb, (e.g. two 25-watt CFLs in place of one 60-watt incandescent), you'd still be saving 10 wh's of electricity for every hour you have the lights on.

And I guarantee the two 25-watt CFL's would blow away the 60-watt lightbulb in light output.

Collapse -
Are you drinking the kool-aid?
by Dhalgren / February 28, 2007 10:06 PM PST

I have a CFL bulb on my front patio that I have to replace at least once a year...

Collapse -
by thriftyT / March 1, 2007 7:33 AM PST

How many hours/day are you leaving this bulb on?
Are there extreme weather conditions?
What brand(s) are you using.

It's not kool-aid; it's fact that CFL's last much much much much longer than conventional bulbs.

Collapse -
Oops. I bought a dozen dimmable CFLs.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2007 12:29 PM PST

I guess they are a little harder to find but they do exist. I have 6 installed in the living room alone. Do the math and with all 6 lamps...

6 x 65 Watts for old and 6 x 20 Watts for new.

Collapse -
Didn't even know they existed
by papachungo13 / February 27, 2007 8:51 PM PST

Thanks for the information. I'll start looking for them.

Collapse -
Found the article. New bulbs in 2010.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 28, 2007 2:49 AM PST

I'm not impressed. I can buy CFLs today and in fact did the whole house years ago. To me this stinks of some company trying to stall the legislation of banning power robbing incandescents.

Collapse -
(NT) Can you please post the URL to the story?
by papachungo13 / February 28, 2007 9:12 PM PST
Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?