Cameras forum

General discussion

FZ5 - Taking motion pictures in artificial lighting

by mdgon1 / June 27, 2005 9:58 AM PDT

Hi All

I've just bought an FZ5 and i want to take photos at the football (Aussie Rules) at an indoor stadium under stadium lights. I took the camera to a rugby game recently, but could seem to get steady photos when the players were moving. when i tried to set a higher shutter speed the photos were coming out too dark. I wasn't using a tripod.

Is there some setting that's good for those conditions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: FZ5 - Taking motion pictures in artificial lighting
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: FZ5 - Taking motion pictures in artificial lighting
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Action photos
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / June 27, 2005 10:17 AM PDT

If you were using "Manual" mode, and you increased the shutter speed, the camera will not change the aperture setting to insure a correctly exposed photo.
Manual mode means you have to change the aperture setting.

If you were using "Shutter Priority" mode, and increase the shutter speed, the camera will adjust the aperture to correctly expose the photo (if it can).
If the aperture is at maximum (f2.8) the camera can not adjust it further, and you will get a dark photo.
The camera may adjust the ISO to provide more light (effectively), but you would need to verify that with the User's Manual.
You can always increase the ISO setting yourself.

It would be helpful to know for sure what mode you were using.

Collapse -
Motion Images under artificial light
by mdgon1 / June 27, 2005 11:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Action photos

I was using mainly Shutter Priority, although i did use Manual mode as well. I even tried the sports mode under the scene setting, but was still getting shaky images, oh and the majority of these were zoomed between 8 & 12x.

I found that if i manually increased the ISO to 400 and increased shutter speed i could take pretty dark photos that weren't blurred. I was thinking there might have been some other setting that could compensate?

Collapse -
Action Low Light Photography
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / June 27, 2005 1:31 PM PDT

is the most difficult.

You are streatching the FZ5 to the limit of its ability.

You need more light or a slower shutter speed.

One tip....make sure that you have the flash turned off when trying to photograph anything further away that 20 feet. If the flash is turned on, the camera is expecting to get some light return to its sensor. It might confuse the camera into selecting a wrong setting.

Here is a write-up that explains the relationship between shutter, aperture and ISO:

The DSLR cameras are better in low light situations because they have larger ISO numbers (up to 3200) and very little noise at those larger numbers.

Collapse -
Action Low Light Photography
by mdgon1 / June 27, 2005 1:52 PM PDT

I know, i'm really demanding! I bought it mainly to take outdoor photos for my cricket club's website, the majority of which will be taken in bright sunlight so this won't be a problem there!

Thanks a lot for your help!

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?