Windows Vista forum

General discussion

FYI: Want to try Windows 7?

A select group of us have been testing early versions of Windows 7 for weeks, and yesterday Microsoft officially released Windows 7 Beta 1 (build 7000) to both an expanded group of testers and everyone with a Microsoft MSDN or Technet subscription. If you have access to any of these outlets you may download the beta version now.

For the rest of you, though, Microsoft will offer exactly 2.5 million copies to the general public starting tomorrow, Friday, January 9, 2009, with some limitations. There are currently no announced restrictions regarding eligibility, but the download limit is hard - Once 2.5 million copies have been distributed the opportunity will be over. Here is what you need to know:

1.) The public opportunity begins Friday, January 9, 2009 at an undisclosed time. Keep your eyes open!
2.) The public download will be Windows 7 Ultimate - There will be no 'lower' editions released.
3.) The public beta EXPIRES on August 1, 2009, at which time it will CEASE TO FUNCTION.

PLEASE NOTE:
Do NOT install this beta on a production, mission-critical machine. First, as this is a beta there are invariably countless bugs, both known and unknown, which may cause instability, data loss, and other malfunctions. For instance, build 7000 had a public issue where editing a MP3 file's metadata (author, title, album art, etc) in WMP12 would permanently erase the first several seconds of the song. (An update is available to patch that bug.) In addition, due to the expiration on August 1, 2009 you will be forced to erase everything and reinstall Windows Vista from scratch. Therefore, once again, do NOT install this beta on a production, mission-critical machine.

Requirements:
1.) Hardware requirements are the same as Windows Vista.
2.) You must have a designated machine or virtual machine.
3.) That machine/VM must be running Windows Vista SP1.
4.) A high-speed connection is highly recommended as the beta is nearly 3GB in size.

Final Notes:
This is a limited beta opportunity to show Windows 7 to the general public in advance of its release as the successor to Windows Vista. The limitations noted in this post, primarily the lack of a clean installation option as well as the lack of a Windows XP to Windows 7 upgrade, are not representative of the final version to be sold later this year, nor are all of these limitations present in the private tester builds and MSDN/Technet releases. Rest assured, Windows 7 will be a fully functional OS and Windows XP users will not be exempted.

Cheers!
John

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: FYI: Want to try Windows 7?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: FYI: Want to try Windows 7?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clean Install IS available as an option

In reply to: FYI: Want to try Windows 7?

Please modify your notes, John (see my BOL forum post about this). Brandon LeBlanc of the Windows 7 Blog team clarified this for his blog readers:

""...you can most certainly do a clean install of the Windows 7 Beta. I usually do clean installs myself - especially on my laptops. The statement applies to upgrade scenarios."

See here (if you can get to the blog...it's been quite busy!) and scroll down for his response I posted above:

http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/windows7/archive/2009/01/07/information-on-downloading-and-installing-windows-7-beta.aspx

Collapse -
Thanks Slikkster!

In reply to: Clean Install IS available as an option

The initial information I read seemed to indicate a clean install would not be available to the recipients of the public version, but certainly glad to hear that's not the case. I cannot edit my own post, but am requesting an update be issues as soon as possible.

Thanks again.
John

Collapse -
Windows 7 beta

Hi,

I watched the Steve Ballmer's keynote at the CES 2009. He said that it will be available for download, but still nothing. I've been checking for hours and no link to the download (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/), or is it a different link?

Thanks for your help.

Collapse -
Windows 7 NOW AVAILABLE...

Microsoft's servers are currently overwhelmed with requests causing users to encounter various error messages, eternal waiting for a connection, and slow downloads but Windows 7 Ultimate Beta 1 is now available to the general public.

Download links:
Windows 7 32-bit: DOWNLOAD
Windows 7 64-bit: DOWNLOAD

Please note that although there is a grace period you must register for a product key in order to use the beta for an extended period of time. In addition, it is the license count, not the download count, that will terminate the offer. (The downloads themselves will still be available for a period after the 2.5 million licenses have been given out to give everyone time to download Windows 7.) Therefore is is highly recommended that you register for your product key as soon as possible.

Cheers!
John

Collapse -
Windows 7

In reply to: Windows 7 NOW AVAILABLE...

Hello John,

Thanks for providing people with the information in your article. It answers many common questions that people are asking about Windows 7 Beta.

To amend your point about keeping your eyes open for the opportunity to download the beta version, those interested should subscribe to the team RSS feed that is available at http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/ . People who subscribe to this feed will be the first to know when the download becomes available to the general public.

Thanks,
Jeff
Windows Outreach Team

Collapse -
Win 7beta

In reply to: Windows 7

Hi all,

Thanks for your answers, but it still not available yet. And what's the link to get that key!!

Thanks

Collapse -
Is Windows 7 beta available to general puplic?

I have been searching for a link to Windows 7 beta all afternoon and evening. It appears to be unavailable to the general public. All the links I have been able to find require TechNet Pro or Microsoft Connect membership. I am a standard TechNet member and I can find the download link to Windows 7 beta but the download link box and the product key link is grayed out forbidding the general public from downloading the ISO image (or downloading the OS in any form).

Does anyone have accurate information as to how to obtain a copy of the beta program?

Collapse -
It is currently in a state of flux...

In reply to: Is Windows 7 beta available to general puplic?

In short, Microsoft's servers have been so overwhelmed that, while the ISOs are still technically publicly available, they have removed all download and registration links, posting the following update:

"Due to very heavy traffic we?re seeing as a result of interest in the Windows 7 Beta, we are adding some additional infrastructure support to the Microsoft.com properties before we post the public beta. We want to ensure customers have the best possible experience when downloading the beta, and I?ll be posting here again soon once the beta goes live. Stay tuned! We are excited that you are excited!"

At this time some are reporting luck receiving Windows 7 product keys by logging into Technet, Hotmail, etc. using a Live/Passport ID and then visiting this registration link, refreshing until the page appears. However, it is not working for everyone and will redirect to the standard Windows 7 information page if you are not logged in or you close that other page.

I cannot comment from personal experience as I have access through other Microsoft programs and do not wish to take away from the opportunities of others, but wish everyone else the best of luck.

John

Collapse -
Windows 7 is AVAILABLE once again...

Collapse -
Windows 7 screen resolution

In reply to: Windows 7 is AVAILABLE once again...

Hi there!

Just finished installing Windows 7 beta. Everything is ok, but the only problem is the resolution. I cannot change it from 640X480 to higher. It works fine with XP.

Thanks

Collapse -
Update...

In reply to: Windows 7 screen resolution

Try installing updated Graphics Drivers, I used Vista drivers from NVidia's website with no problems whatsoever!

Hope this helps...

Collapse -
Win7

In reply to: Update...

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your advice. I downloaded the drivers from Intel website. At first, it didn't work. Then I tried as Administrator, same thing. Then Windows asked if I want to make that driver compatible with Windows 7. When I accepted, it worked just fine. Now I have 1024X768.

So far, the only problem I had with Windows 7 (freezes) was after I insalled Windows Live. I had to use System Restore and now it's back to working.

Take care and enjoy Windows 7!

Collapse -
Try windows update it may update your drivers

In reply to: Windows 7 screen resolution

automatically.

Collapse -
Win7 requirements

Hi,

Just want to inform you. I installed Windows 7 on an old machine (4 year old computer) that could not support Windows Vista and it works fine and fast! With only 768 MB of RAM!

Collapse -
The Cnet Windows 7 forum is now open!

Please direct any future discussion of Windows 7 to our new Windows 7 forum, which may be found by clicking here.

Thanks!
John

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.