Cameras forum

General discussion

FYI: Users with corrupt Lexar memory/flash cards

Hey folks,

I just wanted to pass this information below along to those folks who are using Lexar memory cards and are having issues retrieving their data/photos from them. Thank you Patpla, I hope our members will find your info helpful.

Cheers!
-Lee

Dear CNET,

My Lexar 128 MB Compact Flash card containing precious pictures of my grandchildren became corrupted, and I was unable to view or download the pictures. My husband found an article by Rob Galbraith dated December 1, 2000 titled ?Lexar Media offers free data recovery.? I sent an email to the Lexar address provided in the article requesting assistance in recovering the pictures and was instructed to send the Compact Flash card to them. In less than a month, I received a Lexar Data Recovery Disk with all the pictures intact plus a new 128 MB Compact Flash card.

I?m at a loss for words to express my gratitude to Lexar Media, Inc. Lexar didn?t care that I wasn?t a professional photographer whose livelihood depended on data recovery. Lexar Media, Inc. is deserving of praise and admiration for their superior customer support, and I hope you?ll find room in one of your CNET Weekly Newsletters to inform your readers about this service. Lexar can be reached directly at http://www.lexar.com/support/index.html.

Patpla

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: FYI: Users with corrupt Lexar memory/flash cards
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: FYI: Users with corrupt Lexar memory/flash cards
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Lexar

In reply to: FYI: Users with corrupt Lexar memory/flash cards

Thanks Lee,
Good info. And thanks for thinking of the Digital Camera Forum.

-Kevin

Collapse -
corrupt Prestigio mini SD card with adapter

I was taking some pictures this morning and I guess I abruptedly switched off my Canon Ixus 65 while the last image was being saved. I could access the SD card pictures after that as in reads in the playback mode "No Images". When I switched to camera mode, it reads "memory card full".

I tried to retrieve the pictures from the Prestigio Mini SD card (with adapter) on the computer but all I got was message "not responding". Then I had to shut down the computer. The same process was repeated twice with the same result.

Please help me retrieve the precious images from my corrupted memory card. Thanks to all in advance.

Collapse -
Corrupt SD card

In reply to: corrupt Prestigio mini SD card with adapter

First.....
Take your card to a local digital photo developer/printer place and see if they will try to copy the photo files to a CD for you.
Some will provide this service for a small fee.

If that fails:

Second.....

Buy a card reader that can read a SD memory card.

Connect the card reader to your computer and after the drivers are loaded, insert your SD memory card.
Your computer will treat the card reader as if it is another hard disk.
Use Windows Explorer to look at the card.
See if you can find the photo files.

If you can.....download the files to your computer.
...Check to see that you did indeed get the files onto the computer and then delete all files and folders on the SD memory card.
...Then your camera should be able to use the card.
...Then Format the card with your camera.

If for are not able to see the photo files with the card reader:
Go to Google.com and search for:

digital photo recovery

That will bring up hundreds of sites where you can download or buy recovery software.
That software, along with the card reader should let you recover your photos.

Collapse -
Corrupt SD Card?

In reply to: Corrupt SD card

Joe, Good advise. I use ImageRecall US.
Can use it after reformatting a memory card also. Just do not take one more photo or all is lost forever. I am a believer in this software. Happend to me once after reformatting the memory card. Used the software and retrieved all the images intact. I think the software costs about $30. Great product.
What would be the cost of traveling to Turkey and re-taking those photos over a weeks time!?
Like Joe said, there are various software programs to do this.
Let's all hope you do not need it! I was lucky.

-Kevin

Collapse -
Not so fast Lee

We just came back from a 5+ week trip to India, Nepal, Thailand, Macau & Honk Kong. This was possibly our last BIG trip as a family as the children are growing up, starting work etc. On the next to the last day, my son, who was the "official photographer" had his card fail. Reading the post, I contacted Lexar who told me that the Data Recovery Claims Dept has been closed and my only options are a. send them my card for a replacement (which means that I lose ANY chance of getting the photos back) or b. buy their recovery disc which is not 100% guaranteed to work per their techie(and since the computer doesn't even recognise that the Memory Stick exists, the techie agreed that using this may be a waste of time). I have the transcript of the exchange!

I am not willing to give up on the photos. If anyone has suggestions please help. Meanwhile, sorry Lee but the Patpla information is at best no longer applicable. No kudos for Lexar from me!

Collapse -
(NT) Thank you for the update -- see my post below

In reply to: Not so fast Lee

Collapse -
UPDATE: Lexar is no longer supporting this service...

Hi folks,

Thanks to janv1 post here:

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7593_102-0.html?forumID=58&threadID=260721&messageID=2573498#2573498

I called Lexar today to find out what happened to this service they provided to our member Patpla above. And the Lexar customer service supervisor informed me that they discontinued this service as of July 2007--explaining to me that it was a company wide policy change.

The only product that they will now offer this recovery service is if you are using the "Lexar Professional" series of memory/flash cards.

For all other memory cards that do not fall under the Professional series, what they now do is sell a recovery software on their Web site which supposedly will help you retrieve the data from your cards--if it is accidentally deleted, formatted, or inaccessible. They said that if the software utility fails to do the job, you can then contact Lexar customer support and they will see if they can recover the data for you, but that is only after you have tried using the software first with no success.

Well, personally I'm disappointed to see this great service offered once by Lexar get discontinued. I know policy changes are inevitable, especially to cut cost, but when it is something that hurts the general consumer, it's really sad --because I think a company greatness core success is determined by how good their customer service is, but that just me.

Anyways I just wanted to update everyone on Lexar's policy changes in regards to their support of products.

Cheers!
-Lee

Collapse -
Users with corrupt Lexar memory/flash cards?

In reply to: UPDATE: Lexar is no longer supporting this service...

Thanks Lee,

-Kevin

Collapse -
Free Recovery Program

In reply to: UPDATE: Lexar is no longer supporting this service...

Digital Photo Recovery
Recover lost images from your digital camera memory card!

----------------------------------------------------------

----------------------

Runs on Windows 95 / 98 / Me / 2000 / NT / XP

----------------------------------------------------------

----------------------

http://www.artplus.hr/adapps/eng/dpr.htm

Free Art Plus Digital Photo Recovery tool can help you

recover lost images from corrupted or accidentally

formatted digital camera memory cards.
Program works with ALL types of memory cards!
It's able to recover images from formatted cards!
Reads corrupted cards (even if they're not recognized by

Windows)!
Recovers JPG, TIF (and most of RAW) files!
Program should be able to read all memory cards currently

available on the market and recover lost JPG and TIF file.

RAW format is not fully supported but the program will

read most of the corrupted RAW files too and save them

with TIF extension. While it's not optimized for that

task, this program can actually also read damaged floppys,

CDs and DVDs.

TONI

Collapse -
LEXAR not so good

I bought an 8GB Lexar SD card (ultra-fast) before my vacation in Italy. After about 100 photos the card failed so I bought two slower 1GB ScanDisk cards to finish the vacation. I had my laptop with me so I could download images as I went.

Upon returning to teh US I contacted Lexar and was told I had to buy their image recovery sw to (maybe) recover the images from the Lexar card. This seemed like a pretty good scam to sell a flawed card then charge to fix it.

I told them I was finished with Lexar as a provider - lesson learned and tuition paid.

Collapse -
Another Lexar tale

In reply to: LEXAR not so good

I once paid an exorbitant amount for a lexar memory card and received it in a paper sleeve. I sent them an e-mail expressing how chintzy the expensive card was packaged. Lexar replied by offering to sell me a small plastic box such as the ones used to package other memory cards. Not a big deal, but those are things one remembers when buying more cards. I've bought a lot of cards since then - but not Lexar.

Collapse -
currupt Lexar CF card

Thanks for the Info. Just got my card a little over a month ago and It "cannot playback image" on my camera and wont upload to my computer. but it shows there are 40 files on my card. :/ Lets hope they can help me figure out whats wrong.

-Kari

Collapse -
CF Card

In reply to: currupt Lexar CF card

To go any further with the card you will need a card reader connected to your computer.
After you get the card reader, insert the card and see if you can download the picture files to your computer.

If not, you will need recover software.
Search for a free program called Recuva

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.