Speakeasy forum

General discussion

FYI Simon Schama interview on BBC.

by drpruner / March 26, 2011 3:14 AM PDT

There's an interview with him on BBC "5 minutes with ..." program.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12864555
I gathered from SE he's controversial (left or right I can't recall).

"There's no nobler label than ['populariser of history']".

[Can you remember lots of the kings and queens of England?]
'Oh, yes. Well, I can't do all the Ethels and Eggnogs ...'

[What's your favorite century?]
"This one; it's got to be the one you're living in."

I have an audiobook of his I haven't heard yet.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: FYI Simon Schama interview on BBC.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: FYI Simon Schama interview on BBC.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
He may be controversial simply because I mentioned him
by Ziks511 / March 26, 2011 1:09 PM PDT

repeatedly, and I think his work is superlative. He is an academic who can speak to people without removing nuance from what he is communicating. He also does not speak down to his audience but in a way invites them to join him on the journey he's making.

He was first famous for his book on Holland and the Dutch development of their commerce which pre-dated even that of the English. Then he wrote what I consider to be the definitive book on the French Revolution, entitled Citizens. Again both compulsively readable and scrupulously researched. He then did two series for the BBC turned into books called the History of Britain.

He's a very bright Essex boy who went to one of the grammar schools in Southend I believe and on to Oxford or Cambridge and on into the stratosphere.

I do believe he is opposed to the changes which have occurred in the English University system but that covers both the Blair New Labour and the Cameron Conservatives so there's no real differentiating. He is opposed to making wealth a critical factor in university attendance which is what has happened in Britain in the last 14 years. Labour introduced tuition fees as one of their first actions upon being elected in '97 and the Conservatives have just cranked them up to L5000 a year. Scotland remains tuition free but has had to put limits on the number of students from England Northern Ireland and Wales that it can accept, otherwise the number of native born Scots would be diminished.

Rob

Collapse -
The book on Holland was The Embarassment of Riches.
by Ziks511 / March 27, 2011 5:21 PM PDT

while at Columbia he wrote an exceptional book called Landscapt and Memories which I haven't had a chance to read but for which the reviews are brilliant. Schama has always been interested in Art, and this book beside discussing how Landscape affects character and turns up in odd places in paintings discusses its effect nationally and how we remember the past. Driving through Revolutionary Massachusetts or seeing Fort McHenry at the mouth of the Chesapeake, or Fort Ticonderoga in New York state each have impacts we didn't quite expect, stirring up memories which aren't our memories, but come from our families experiences of these places, until you get to battlefields where family members fought and died,or fought and lived but were never quite free of the battle.

Rob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?