HolidayBuyer's Guide

Forum Feedback & Announcements forum

General discussion

FYI: Remember me check box is back now...

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / November 5, 2004 7:47 AM PST

and it actually works.

If you check the Remember Me box when logging in you will automatically be logged back in the next time you visit the forums.

The only time it will NOT remember you is if you:

Delete your system cookies or Log out manually.

Enjoy!
-Lee

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: FYI: Remember me check box is back now...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: FYI: Remember me check box is back now...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks for the info, Lee.
by FrankQTran / November 5, 2004 8:29 AM PST
Collapse -
Re: FYI: Remember me check box is back now...
by Mark5019 / November 5, 2004 8:36 AM PST

but with mozllia seems wont stay checked Sad

Collapse -
by roddy32 / November 5, 2004 11:47 AM PST

It's not staying checked with IE6 either but we are on the right track. LOL

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) ty not only me lol
by Mark5019 / November 5, 2004 11:49 AM PST
Collapse -
by MarciaB / November 6, 2004 12:11 AM PST

IE 6 SP2

worked for me in re to closing my browser completely and coming back to CNET.

Will test it later in re to reboot.

Thanks for working on this stuff, Lee Happy

Collapse -
by roddy32 / November 6, 2004 5:27 AM PST

I just tried it again and it's weird cause it says "Welcome Back Rod" when I go to the sign in page but it still makes me put my e-mail and password in ever time even though I check the box. It's not a big deal to me because I never sign out and usually have a forum window open 24/7 but it's still not working correctly yet. BTW, I also have IE6 XP SP2 Marcia. Plain

Collapse -
Booted up this AM
by MarciaB / November 6, 2004 9:39 PM PST

clicked on my CNET shortcut, came directly to Forum Feedback - was still logged on Happy

Will need to occasionally re-enter login info as I clean out all temp files about 1 X mo. as a rule; but that also helps me to remember various passwords and such.

Collapse -
by Wellander / November 6, 2004 5:34 AM PST

Hi,
Thank you very much for the update.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) still not working in ie 6
by Mark5019 / November 6, 2004 11:56 PM PST
Collapse -
Re: (NT) still not working in ie 6
by roddy32 / November 7, 2004 4:51 AM PST

Marcia made a good point Mark. I also had to sign in again today even though I've had the box checked BUT after reading Marcia's post from this morning, I added the Virus and Security's Forum to my favorites because that's where I spend most of my time instead of the sign-in page, which I had on favorites before and I can close up IE and then open it and go directly to that Forum and I didn't have to sign in. I will try it again tomorrow morning and see what happens but I think it will work that way for us. It's worth a try anyway. Grin

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) i logged out and back in will see ewhat lee finds out
by Mark5019 / November 7, 2004 4:53 AM PST
Collapse -
It works for me Mark running IE6
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / November 7, 2004 5:33 AM PST

Make sure you don't manually log out. If manually log out it will delete the cookie and not remember you.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) all i do is close ie never log out oh well ill live
by Mark5019 / November 7, 2004 8:54 AM PST
Collapse -
Re: (NT) all i do is close ie never log out oh well ill live
by roddy32 / November 7, 2004 9:43 AM PST

What page do you enter CNET at Mark? I found out today and as long as I enter into one of the Forums, instead of the log-in page, I'm signed in. I have not tried rebooting to see what happens but I have closed up IE numerous times today and if I went to the sign-in page, I had to sign in but if I went right to the Virus and Securities forum, I was already signed in without actually signing in if you follow my drift LOL. The true test will be if I shut down and come back on but I don't plan on doing that for another day or so.

Collapse -
by Mark5019 / November 7, 2004 10:09 AM PST

main page where all forums are

Collapse -
by roddy32 / November 7, 2004 10:35 AM PST

Who knows LOL. I'll know for sure when I reboot the next time but at least they are trying.

Collapse -
''Check'' 'ur Cookies when login required.
by Cursorcowboy / November 16, 2004 12:22 AM PST

Win98FE, MSIEv5.02SP2

For sure, there are utilities which users install or options set in utilities used which are going to delete Cookies. One which does this with no rhyme or reason is MailWasher Pro. Of course I use it as follows but the anomaly is that the Cookie doesn't disappear until the second day, next day accessing the forum(s) == no proglem:

1. Download only -- I do not like all the bells and whistles of the entire program -- the autoexecuting "12-Wash" utility listed in the "Index" near the bottom of this page -- a free!1.5MB file.

2. When this utility is installed and executed, you'll see the tab "IE, IE, AOL" (click to see a screen shot here) but when clicked in the utility, it give you the option to delete "cookies" among other things along with an "Except" button that allows you to select those to keep and for which they are subsequently written to the system's registry and do not change unless you do so:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\12Ghosts\Wash CookiesToKeep(three-digit number)

3. Either create a batch file to start on boot with the two lines below and placed in the Startup folder or place the first line only in the Autoexec.bat file to purge cookies (the drive and path are determined by you):

@<drive> \ <path> \12wash.exe /silent /washall
@exit

Collapse -
Yes!!!. . .
by Coryphaeus / November 16, 2004 12:26 AM PST

I noticed last week or so. I ment to post a thank you but must'a had a senior moment.

Thanks.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.