Speakeasy forum

General discussion

FYI: "Microsoft to secure IE for XP only"

by John Robie / September 23, 2004 5:18 AM PDT

"Microsoft is eyeing the nearly half of the world's 390 million Windows users who have opted to stick with operating systems older than XP, including Windows versions 2000, ME, 98 and 95."

"Of Microsoft's approximately 390 million operating system installations around the world, Windows XP Pro constitutes 26.1 percent, Windows XP Home 24.7 percent, IDC said.
The remaining 49.2 percent is composed of Windows 2000 Professional (17.5 percent), Windows 98 (14.9 percent), Windows ME (6.5 percent), Windows 95 (5.4 percent), and Windows NT Workstation (4.9 percent)."

"That 49.2 percent of Windows users are left out in the cold when it comes to significant updates to IE and other software."

Read here:
http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-5378366.html

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: FYI: "Microsoft to secure IE for XP only"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: FYI: "Microsoft to secure IE for XP only"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: FYI: "Microsoft to secure IE for XP only"
by Josh K / September 23, 2004 5:30 AM PDT
The Internet's security mess has proved profitable for many companies, particularly antivirus firms. Microsoft has declared security job No. 1.

Well, I'd say that obscene profits are job #1. Security, based on what I've seen over the last few years, is maybe job 12 or 13. Maybe. Quality, as every MS software user knows, is job 1.1 Service Pack 3a.

Wink
Collapse -
Microsoft to customers:
by Dan McC / September 23, 2004 5:39 AM PDT

"Screw you!!!"

They just didn't put it that clearly in the press release.

Dan

Collapse -
I just now downloaded
by John Robie / September 23, 2004 5:50 AM PDT

Firefox for this machine.
Now going to get it for my Win98se & WinMe desktops.
Wink

Collapse -
MIcrosoft is doing these people a favor...
by EdH / September 23, 2004 6:28 AM PDT
In reply to: I just now downloaded

By not supporting that piece of crud. Anyone still running IE is in my opinion a fool. I hope this announcement drives even more users to grab Mozilla, Firefox or Opera, all of which are faster and more secure than Internet Explorer.

Collapse -
Re: MIcrosoft is doing these people a favor...
by John Robie / September 23, 2004 7:18 AM PDT

Well, the hackers/crackers are after MS IE because it is MS and the largest browser in use (95%).
Someone mentioned in one of the forums that the hackers/crackers could do the same with Mozilla, Firefox, Opera, etc....if they get larger in numbers approaching MS, or if Billy had a way of purchasing the other browsers (you know with a monopoly) then the hackers would have those browsers needing as many patches/fixes as IE. So, the big bad MS is tackled right now as a favorite.

Collapse -
The subject is a wee bit misleading...
by Edward ODaniel / September 23, 2004 6:56 AM PDT

because Microsoft will continue providing SECURITY PATCHES as they have in the past.

This is more like MSIE 6 and Win 3.1/Win 95 users not being able to get and use it without upgrading to win 98, or Win NT 4 users not being able to get the latest version of Windows Messenger and use its new features.

From the cited article:

Microsoft promised "ongoing security updates" for all supported versions of Windows and IE.

The ongoing security updates do not, as Microsoft points out, include the latest security fixes with Service Pack 2, released last month. Those include a new pop-up blocker and a new system of handling ActiveX controls and downloaded content.

And it's those more substantial changes, rather than the bug fixes that come with routine upgrades for supported products, that security organizations have lauded for addressing IE's graver security concerns.

Those changes result from new capabilities added in SP2 and are not a component of earlier versions of windows.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.